Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding Type "S" dies, are they worth the extra money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Redding Type "S" dies, are they worth the extra money?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
For reducing neck diameters (6.5 to 6mm) the bushings dies rarely work well. Generally, you need to reduce the necks in a conventional die before you begin working with bushing dies.
Couldn't you use a bushing die with an expander?
Old 02-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Hope you don't mind my popping in here, but it's not an issue with the expander ball. VarmintHunter's right; the bushings generally have a bit too sharp of a radius on their edges to do necking operations very well. They're just great for actual sizing, of course, but in reducing neck diameters by a caliber or so they can be a bit finicky. You're better off using a standard sizing die for such case forming chores, if that's an option here.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 02-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

The bushings basically have parallel sides with virtually no beveled lead into them. A standard die has the entire shoulder which bevels into the neck. Perfect for necking down from one size to another.

Your neck reduction "might" work with a bushing die but I doubt it.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting... I read on here where a member had down necked 2 or 3 cal in one step with a bushing. Maybe I misunderstood? I would think if you use enough bushings/steps it could be done.

How would you go about necking down a 270 WSM to a 6.5 WSM with a "standard" sizing die?

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 02-09-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

I just ran 100 cases in 308 through a Redding S down to 260. Lost no cases.

What I have learned, is to use the body die first as it has a larger neck diameter and then it is close to final neck diameter so it is not a problem to run it through the neck die. There is a little weirdness to the neck junction because of the neck die not going all of the way to the shoulder.

The process works OK for some of the other calibers I use also.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I just ran 100 cases in 308 through a Redding S down to 260. Lost no cases.

What I have learned, is to use the body die first as it has a larger neck diameter and then it is close to final neck diameter so it is not a problem to run it through the neck die. There is a little weirdness to the neck junction because of the neck die not going all of the way to the shoulder.

The process works OK for some of the other calibers I use also.

+1
Thats the way i do it. If im going down in size more then one cal i will use alittle STP OIL in the body die , Then anneal after and run in the bushing die, works great.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

once again thanks for the detailed input! The amount of knowledge on this sight is great! I appreciate the info on NOT being able to downsize necks with the type S dies, But being able to with the body die. I have used a Redding Comp seater for my 30-338 for a while now and as some of you have stated it is a great die and will be standard issue for the new barrels. While we got the die topic going how do you guys feel the Forster Seater compares to the Redding Comp seater. I realize that the Redding seater has the edge on the fine tune seating depths, But how about a comparison of runout? thanks, Brent