Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding Type "S" dies, are they worth the extra money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Redding Type "S" dies, are they worth the extra money?

I appreciate all the great input! you all have made my decision easy, I'll order the type s!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Sawyer View Post
I appreciate all the great input! you all have made my decision easy, I'll order the type s!
If it were me I would get the FULL competition set. This is a 3 die set that comes with a Micrometer seat die, a micrometer neck die, and a body die to size the case and bump the shoulder back. The neat thing about the micrometer neck die is, they have a retractable sleve that captures and centers the case BEFORE any sizing of the neck is done. You don't get that with the standard set. I truely believe this dies will lower your runout. It has mine in several calibers.

Jeff
Old 02-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

alright so I got one more question. One of the new barrels will be a 6-284, I plan on using 6.5-284 lapua brass and necking it down. Which bushing do I order? I understand reddings directions but first I have to have a loaded round and I cant have one of those till I neck down the 6.5's, how do I neck down if I dont know which bushing? It is a like the chicken or the egg ordeal! once again thanks for the input. Brent
Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Brent,
Good analogy there; it is a chicken/egg conundrum here. You should be able to order the dies and use them to form some preliminary 6x284 rounds. A simple guess on the size of bushing should get you pretty close. However, once the cases are in hand, measure the necks, and then follow Redding's advice on how to select the proper size bushing from that point. Some experimentation from there may see you refine that a bit further, but that's up to you.

I'll also depart from some of the other comments here, as well: I do use an expander ball, even with the bushing dies. I prefer Redding's carbide expander, and select a bushing that gives just the slightest kiss to the I.D. of the necks as the ball makes its passage. This may be due to the volume of reloading I do (I shoot HighPower competitively, and load in large batches), and someone who loads smaller quantities may not choose to go this route. I just want some contact, to assure me that the I.D.s (and thus the neck tensions) are the same throughout the entire lot. Again, you'll need to adapt your particular prectices to whatever YOUR needs are, not someone elses.

Hope that helps,

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

For reducing neck diameters (6.5 to 6mm) the bushings dies rarely work well. Generally, you need to reduce the necks in a conventional die before you begin working with bushing dies.

Re: "S" die sets - I have not seen much advantage to the competition micrometer adjustable bushing sizer die but find the micrometer seater die indispensable. You can get "S" die sets with just the micro seater if you prefer and save a few bucks. I realize that others may find the comp sizer well worth the extra money and I don't disagree with their findings, it's just that my experience has just been different.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

I want to add that another reason I like the full competition set with the micrometer neck die is. I don't wish to bump the shoulder back once the brass is fireformed. I only want to size the neck. I will use the body die which is easy to adjust to only bump the shoulder .001" when needed.

Jeff
Old 02-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
For reducing neck diameters (6.5 to 6mm) the bushings dies rarely work well. Generally, you need to reduce the necks in a conventional die before you begin working with bushing dies.

Re: "S" die sets - I have not seen much advantage to the competition micrometer adjustable bushing sizer die but find the micrometer seater die indispensable. You can get "S" die sets with just the micro seater if you prefer and save a few bucks. I realize that others may find the comp sizer well worth the extra money and I don't disagree with their findings, it's just that my experience has just been different.
+1 here. I very rarely use the Comp Neck bushing die sets, but then, I almost never neck size anything. Again, depends on what you're doing.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA