Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding type S bushing size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Bronze Member

Redding type S bushing size

Hello to all,
I just purchased a Remington Model 7 youth in 7mm-08 for my short range tracking rifle. I'm getting ready to order some dies and reloading equipment for this setup. I'm getting a FL Redding type S die and wanted opinions on which bushings to order.

I figured I'd get 2 or 3 so I don't have to wait if I'm incorrect. The last rifle I ordered bushings for was a little more straight forward. I already had standard dies and was reloading for the rifle, so I could measure the outside neck diameter. I don't have that luxtury this time.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:46 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Redding type S bushing size

Well, I was anxious to place my order, so I just ordered the Redding type S FL sizer with the 3 middle bushings (309, 310, and 311) for 7mm and the competition bullet seater. I also ordered the RCBS chargemaster 1500 combo and a few other odds and ends. I'm looking forward to some new toys, it's been a while since I've purchased any new reloading equipment (last summer). Thanks for anyone who reads this, but I'm too inpatient [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

I did the same thing when I bought my 300 rum dies, I ordered 3
bushings. One .002 under for normal tension, one .003 under for extra tension and one .004 under for slight neck turning. You should order from and actual loaded round hopefully and not just the middle of the size range. Have fun with the new toys!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 03:45 AM
Bronze Member

What brass are you going to use? I cleaned up my brass, neck turing them to .014" thickness (Lapua) and I have the same bushing sizes as you have, and using the .310" bushing the most, going to the .309" bushing after annealing cases and sizing for the first time after.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Bronze Member

Well I may be in the ballpark, probly end up using the 311. I'm going to be using factory winchester brass. I purchased 5 boxes of 140 grain power points to break in the rifle, and get some brass. I haven't even shot it yet. I'm still waiting for my scope (Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6X42), my dies, and I still need to have the trigger tuned. I won't be neck turning, sorting brass, or any other tedious procedures for this rifle unless I can't get it to shoot under 1MOA. This will be my new tracking rifle for northeastern whitetail. The average shot is usually ~50 yards.

Thanks for the reply's
Old 06-08-2006, 01:25 AM
Bronze Member

Using a Redding bushing die and not neck turning your necks to reduce concentricity is like driving a Ferrari with retreads! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Using a Redding bushing die and not neck turning your necks to reduce concentricity is like driving a Ferrari with retreads! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!!!