Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding Titanium nitrite bushings worth the money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:55 PM

Redding Titanium nitrite bushings worth the money?

Do you guys use the Redding Titanium nitrite bushings that Sinclair's sell or the standard bushings for the type S resizing dies? They are almost twice the money and I just want to know if they are worth it or is it snake oil.

Steve
Old 03-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Redding Titanium nitrite bushings worth the money?

I don't use them. I place Imperial wax on the case necks and just use the standard bushings, which are hardened. I don't think you'll ever wear the standard bushings out and there would be no functional difference - In My Opinion.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

I use nothing but TiNitrided bushings because I do not care to lube brass I've already cleaned(before putting in any die). Yes they cost more, and yes they are worth it (to me).
Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

I like them. Wish all my bushings were TN. I hate wiping off lube.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Steve,

I have, and use, both. I think there's some advantage to the TN bushings if you're doing neck sizing, and want to avoid the use of lube. I tend not to buy the TN versions anymore, simply because I so rarely use just neck sizing. Usng the Type-S FL bushing dies, I have to lube anyway, so there's really no point to the TN for me now. I will also add, as I mentioned elsewhere, that I do lube straight-walled pistol cases to be processed in carbide dies, simply because it makes the passage so much easier. I use very little lube here, nothing more than trace amounts really, but it does make the cycling much easier. I'd probably be inclined to do the same on TN bushing dies and pure neck sizing, should I go that route again. Your call here. I should add, however, that after extensive use, I have seen the TN coating chip or flake off. Took a BUNCH of rounds to reach that point, but I have seen it.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Gold Member

I must be in the over cautious group because I use lube on everything. I just use less on the stuff that says it doesn't need it at all.

I agree 100% with Kevin, everything seems to cycle so much smoother with a little lube. I don't load thousands of rounds at a sitting so wiping it off with a rag and some cleaner is no big deal for me.

IMO a touch of lube is easier on the brass the dies and me. Most of my bushings are TN also.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 AM

Thank for the input guys.

I was unaware that you didn’t have to lube with the TiNitrite coated bushings and that this was the main advantage for them. I am full length resizing so I have to lube anyway.

Do you see much reduced effort in resizing the brass using the coated bushings with lube versus the non coated bushings and lube?

Steve

Last edited by Frequent Flyer; 03-05-2010 at 11:02 AM.