Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding T-7 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

Redding T-7 ?

Going to get the T-7 press from Redding and was wondering if there are any opinions on the primer option available with it? I have only ever hand primed and like the feel of it to judge the health of the pockets. Does the T-7 option offer a decent feel to it?.....Thank's....Rick
Old 02-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Redding T-7 ?

Rick, it comes with a primer lever but I rarely use it. I too prefer the feel of a hand primer. When comparing the two the T-7 will not give the feel you get with a hand primer tool. I do use it once in a while like this. I drop a primed case and dent the neck. So I open the dented neck back up and run it through the neck size die. This knocks out the primer so I flip the priming arm up and place a single primer in and seat it. Saves a little time than setting up my hand primer for one case.

If you have a little extra $ in the budget a second turret for the price is handy. Depending on how many rifles you load for.

I think you will love the T-7, I sure do.

Jeff
Old 02-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

IMHO the T7 is the cadalac of turret presses, good choice.
As for primeing, I use the hand prime from Lee, I just love the feel of it
Old 02-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

Great press, I use one with different turrets set up. I too prefer to hand prime. Tried the priming option but to slow not enough feel.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

"Going to get the T-7 press ..."

I wonder why? I mean, it's good but it's just a turret press and I wonder what you hope that feature will gain you? IMHO, presses are greatly over agonized, they all work quite well for me. A turret rig is only slightly 'faster' than a single stage because it's basically a single stage with die storage; you will still have to install and remove dies when changing calibers. IF I were willing to pay that kind of price for something as simple as a loading press I go straight to Redding's massively strong and quite rigid Ultramag. (Foster's CoAx is also excellant in that price range but I don't care for it's ergonomics.)

Good rifle ammo can be made on any press if the loader knows what he's doing but the rigidity and precise ram-to-die alignment of a single stage press makes it easier to do good work. All presses have much more body flex under load than most folk realize and turret presses obviously have more flex than a single stage; that turret attachment simply has to have some looseness or it couldn't turn! (Anyone who thinks his pet turret press - or any other press - is "rigid" simply hasn't used a machinest's dial indicator on it to see what actually happens under load.)

I find that a turret press is best used for large volumes of handgun (straight wall) ammo. Lee's Classsic Turret with the auto-indexing feature is as good as any and is much faster than a manual turret. And Lee's turret head price is low enough to make it a practical choice to actually have pre-loaded die heads standing by.

I have a preference for Lee's old AutoPrime hand tools. They work well for me and I've been using the same two (a large and small primer set up) since 1990 without breaking anything or wearing anything out -- but I'm not a mechanical klutz.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

I never remove my dies from the T-7. I have a few extra turrets. So, if straying from the two calibers I load most one bolt to remove and replace and next turret is on and ready. My dies are always set to exactly the same depth as they are never removed. Cases sizing, shoulder bump and seating always the same. I find this a very nice option that saves time. Especially if I want to load a small batch like during load development where the change from the neck , to body, to seating die is a simple click with one hand.

Jeff
Old 02-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

I also bought a T-7, but there was a small play on the turret. I emailed Redding and within 24 hours they had given me the instructions how to correct it. The T-7 is an excellent press!