Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding micrometer VLD seating stem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 01:53 PM

Redding micrometer VLD seating stem

As the title says, I have the stem in a Lyman seating die and it is bottoming out for the longest COAL in my Berger recommended test. Would using a Redding seating die give me more adjustment? I have resorted to turning the whole die closer to the case to get adjustments. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Redding micrometer VLD seating stem

I'm not sure what you mean.

How/why do you have a Redding Mic seating stem in a Lyman die? The really effective part of the Redding Comp seater is the full length inner sleeve that aligns the case to the bullet before seating begins. A calibrated Mic head is nothing but a user aid, it doesn't do a thing to improve the average quality of your reloads.

What do you mean about Berger's "recommended" OAL? If you mean what shows in Berger's manual all that tells you is the length they used to develop the listed data, it has no other meaning at all. Each of us has to find our own best OAL for accuracy and/or lowest velocity ES.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
I'm not sure what you mean.

How/why do you have a Redding Mic seating stem in a Lyman die? The really effective part of the Redding Comp seater is the full length inner sleeve that aligns the case to the bullet before seating begins. A calibrated Mic head is nothing but a user aid, it doesn't do a thing to improve the average quality of your reloads.

What do you mean about Berger's "recommended" OAL? If you mean what shows in Berger's manual all that tells you is the length they used to develop the listed data, it has no other meaning at all. Each of us has to find our own best OAL for accuracy and/or lowest velocity ES.
I purchased the Redding VLD seating stem because I have heard that using a standard stem will crush/dent a Berger bullet upon seating. I went with Lyman because that is all I could get my hands on, thanks to our prez.....

As far as OAL goes, I have measured with a COAL guage and then added/minused from there in the increments listed in Berger manual. The problem I am having is that my longest OAL has about bottomed out the stem adjustment into the die. I have set the die correctly, but I have to crank the stem all the way in. I hope this will shed a little more light on my issue....
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

I seat Berger vld's with a standard rcbs seater die,never had an issue! Try your normal seating stem and you will most likely have no issues
Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the input, I will give my standard RCBS die a try!! I still feel that the Redding stem should have way more usable adjustment than what I am getting......
Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

"I still feel that the Redding stem should have way more usable adjustment than what I am getting...... "

I suspect it does.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 PM

"I suspect it does"

Is that just an assumtion? Or do you actually know?