Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding micrometer seater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 03:22 AM

Redding micrometer seater

I am using RCBS dies but I am interested in using the Redding micrometer seating die. Can I use my RCBS resizer and just buy the Redding seater?
Thanks
Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 AM
Gold Member

Re: Redding micrometer seater

I can't see why not. I use a Lee Collet die neck sizer and a Redding comp seater and a Hornady resizer and a Redding comp seater so RCBS should be no different .
Old 02-04-2012, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, you can. The Redding micrometer i.e. Competition, seater is great. You can get spot on OAL's with it. But their sizer dies with bushings are great also. Any sizer with an expander ball can pull the case neck out of alignment: Not good.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

I've been reloading for a very long time and used/owned more brands of dies than most of today's reloaders ever heard of. Yes, dies of mixed brands work as well or better than the same.

So far as average results by brand I've learned there is as much variation between individual dies of the same brand as between brands; they are all made to the same SAAMI tolerances. (Occasionally it seems a bad die can get out from any maker but they ALL will replace defects.)

I've found there are two groups that all dies fall into, on average. Clearly, Redding/Forster dies are tied for best because of their full-length body sleeve that holds case and bullet in proper alignment before seating starts. All other dies are tied for second best, and I mean all of them, no matter any cute and costly little gimmicks they may include.

The effective loading difference between the two groups of dies is clear but usually not massive; a really good conventional die set will load ammo just as well as a more costly set. A MUCH bigger issue than the dies is the loader's lack of or possesion of skill and not a lot of "experienced" reloaders have great skill. Neither time at the bench nor volume of reloading means much, of themselves. Some good loaders have ten years of experience, some poor loaders have one year of experience they've repeated twenty (or more) times without learning any more!

Poor cases can easily negate the value potential of any expensive dies. And NO ONE can tell how precisely he has assembled his ammo without using a concentricity gage. Rolling cartridges on a flat plate may expose really poor ammo but no one can tell if the run-out is small and run-out matters.

Micrometer seater heads make it easier for us to set bullets to a specific OAL, they don't do a thing other than that; mic heads can't do anything to improve concentricity or OAL that a conventional seater screw doesn't do.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNT View Post
I am using RCBS dies but I am interested in using the Redding micrometer seating die. Can I use my RCBS resizer and just buy the Redding seater?
Thanks
save yourself enough money to buy at least one case of beer, and buy the Forster seater. Redding just copied the Forster and added about $20 to the price tag, but the Forster head seems to have less backlash built into it. Still both seaters have some backlash in their heads, no matter what.
gary
Old 02-04-2012, 07:12 PM

Thanks Tricky, I believe I will
Old 02-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNT View Post
Thanks Tricky, I believe I will
I use both brands, and I like the Forster Ultra seater better, but still there's just not a lot of difference except for money spent. If you load just one bullet, there's little to be gained with the micrometer head. Once you have all the settings down you won't be moving things around much. I mostly use the micrometer heads on 22 centerfire and 6mm rounds because I change bullets a lot. What I do is to keep a log book with the settings in it. Always try to start from the middle of travel on the head; that way you can go up or down with it. Kinda like doing clicks with a powder measurer.
gary