Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding Match or Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Bronze Member

Redding Match or Competition

I need to purchase a set of dies. Should I buy the Type S match dies or the competition set? This will be for a 338 RUM. I usually just buy regular redding dies, but I have seen these on Sinclair and wondering if it is worth it??
Old 03-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Redding Match or Competition

In Redding terminology...

"Type-S Match" refers to the ability to use interchangeable bushings to tune your neck tension.

"Competition" usually refers to the seater.

So, you need both. And, Yes. They're worth it. But, you can get good results from other dies as well.

Next you need to decide if you want
(a) neck size only
(b) full length size only
(c) neck size plus body die for bumping shoulder

Option c gives you the most flexibility and control. But, depending on what you're trying to accomplish, you can get excellent results from FL or NK sizing.

For hunting/tactical, I lean towards FL sizing. And, for precision, I lean towards option C.

-- richard
Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

The competition set is a 3 die set. A necksizer, body / shoulder die and a seating die. They differ from the "S" type in these areas. The "S" type are two die sets, a sizing die that sizes the entire case and neck in oe operation and a seating die. The Comp set has two dies with micometer adjustments on top, the neck and the seater. Also the neck and seater dies in the comp sets first capture the entire case in a retractive sleeve before any work is done. Then this sleve slides up into the die for the work. This keeps the case perfectly in line with the bushing and seater plug. I feel the Comp dies with these sleeves produce less runout. The comp dies are what I use and I love them. If you want straight ammo, and the ability to size necks and shoulder in seperate operations I recommend the comp die set.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff is correct.

I wasn't aware that they made a micrometer version of the sizer.

Now I have to sell everything a pennies on the dollar and start over. :-(

-- richard
Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks. I ordered the comp set from Sinclair.