Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding instant indicator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Redding instant indicator

I have been checking the shoulder expansion on some 300 winnie case that I have fired 4 to 5 times . I am using the Redding instant indicator to do this .

About 95 % of the case measure 5 thou longer than the minimum datum line length . The other 5% are 6 to 7 thou longer . I am thinking this 5% represents cases that were subjected to excessive pressure because they were at the high end of ladder tests at charge weights pushing past safe. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

What should I consider as being more true to my chamber size in order to set the shoulder back 1 to 2 thou with a body die ?

Thanks for y'alls help , Jim B.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: Redding instant indicator

The shortest ones.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

If those cases 6 to 7 thousandths longer caused no binding when you opened the bolt after firing them, they may well more closely match your bolt face to chamber shoulder maximum length.

And if your brass is quite springy, the longest one may still be a couple thousandths short of actual chamber headspace to the shoulder. You'll need to measure it with a gage of some sort.

If your bolt face isn't square to the chamber axis, the fired case heads may not be square which can change the readings a thousandth of an inch or more.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

What Kirby told me to do is to put the fired case back into the chamber and slowly and gently close the bolt. It should not bind. If it binds then put the case into the die and size it a little. Put it back into the chamber and if it binds then crank the die down just a little more. Keep doing this until your bolt closes without binding. You then have 0.001 or 0.002 clearance on the shoulder.

From the above I would take what Bart B says and get the longest shouldered case and lub up the bolt lugs so they were smooth and then put that case in and check how the bolt closes. I would take a few of the shorter ones and try them. If none of them cause extra bolt effort then I would go with Bart B that all of your brass has "sprung back'. You are then left with the question of how much.

The other question would seem to be whether you are headspacing on the shoulder or the belt?
Old 07-29-2006, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

Mr Jim,
BB is on it. Go ahead and chamber some of the fired cases. If they are too snug, then they need to be backed down .002 until they feel smooth. You'll be good to go if your primer pockets are still tight.
Brandon
Old 07-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

buffalobob,

Doesn't one always end up headspacing on the shoulder, sooner or later. I've never really ever figured out the belt thing. With the belted cases I do as you have stated thus always end up headspacing on the shoulder. I end up discarding the cases when the ring ahead of the belt becomes the problem as evidenced by difficult bolt closure and chamber marks just ahead of the belt. (I'm too tight to get one of those collet resizer dies.)
Old 07-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know for sure what is Jimm is doing With new brass or full lenght resized brass you would most likely be head spacing on the belt. What Clay Spencer told me when he rebuilt my 240 was to full length resize and headspace on the belt and that would give great accuracy and keep me out of trouble (amazing how a guy can look at your gun and tell that you are prone to get yourself into trouble).

It is possible to expand the belt outwards and well as upwards. Like you, I am too lazy to get a belt squeezer.