Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding Dies-vs RCBS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Redding Dies-vs RCBS

"The funny thing is most people do not know how to properly set up a sizing die."

Boss, it sure appears that you are right! It's immediately appearant when they say, in effect, "Screw the sizer die down until it touches the shell holder and then turn ..."

Nor how to best do seating either. But, oh boy, don't they have strong opinions on what dies are the absolute best!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"The funny thing is most people do not know how to properly set up a sizing die."

Boss, it sure appears that you are right! It's immediately appearant when they say, in effect, "Screw the sizer die down until it touches the shell holder and then turn ..."

Nor how to best do seating either. But, oh boy, don't they have strong opinions on what dies are the absolute best!

I try and be nice but it is hard sometimes.... On the other hand there was a time when I was in the dark about a lot of things..
Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

"I try and be nice but it is hard sometimes.... "

Yeah, I used to myslelf but found it rarely did any good.
Now I just give the facts as I know them and let the delicate egos take care of themselves.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks to everybody for their help. I think I am going to try the Redding.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

You will be happy with the Redding dies.

If you want to do it right, get the competition seater. For sizing, there are a couple of routes you can take. You can get a neck sizer and body die. If you get the neck sizer, then get the floating expander button and put a rubber "O" ring above it. This will help keep the neck straight as it is being sized. You would need to call Redding and get the part number then order thorugh Midway or somewhere. If you order right from Reddiing, you'll pay a lot more. Another technique to help center and align your case with your throat is to leave about 1/4 - 1/3 of your neck unsized at the shoulder. This will leave a small doughnut which will align your case with your throat. A good practice, especially for factory chambers.

Another way to size is with a bushing die. This requires neck turning which isn't all that hard to do. The advantages of bushung dies are...

- Less working and stressing your necks.
- Being able to adjust your neck tension, and
- Consistant neck tension

Also, you can use the same die (with different bushings) to load different calibers of the same cartridge, i.e., 7mm RUM and 300 RUM or 30-06, 270 and 25-06, etc. or make a wildcat.

Bushing dies are what I prefer.

Good shooting,

-MR