Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding Dies-vs RCBS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Bronze Member

Redding Dies-vs RCBS

I have always used RCBS dies since I was a kid, but the other day it looked like my bullet was crooked. I asked about the crooked bullet,

I was told that Reeding dies are superior to RCBS. Does anybody know if this is a fair statement.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Redding Dies-vs RCBS

I would agree. Reddings quality is alot better than rcbs and there is a bunch of different options with the redding that you won't find with the rcbs.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

I've always been partial to Redding dies myself. Are they better than RCBS, I think so but I don't know for sure. I do feel better about using them, and that is every bit as important to me.

Chris
Old 09-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

I'm having a problem with Redding bushing resizing dies, getting the neck "just right". I'm finding Forster dies to be better than either Redding or RCBS.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

"I was told that Reeding dies are superior to RCBS. Does anybody know if this is a fair statement."

IMHO, it is a fair statement.

I hold Redding and Forster in a tie for first place for BR/Comp dies. All others are tied for second place.

Externals can be homely or purty but externals don't load ammo. ALL die internals are made to SAAMI specs and that's a range, not a specific target. Ditto our chambers. How well a given set of dies match a given chamber is pure luck, it's not brand or cost dependant. Dies are actually sorta like women; pretty ones always cost us more and are nicer to look at but they don't function any better!

If both dies in a conventional set matches the chamber well they can load ammo as well as any more expensive set. If not, the superior designs of Redding/Forster dies insure that they ALWAYS do pretty well!

I buy new dies because of specific user features, not the brand as such. For my rifles that usually means Forster but sometimes Redding, some times Lee. For handguns it's usually Lyman's, or Redding's copies, or Lee. And, if the price is right on used dies, I'll buy anything because they all work.

Last edited by boomtube; 09-09-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM
SPONSOR

Primarily Redding for me with Forrester next
Old 09-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

The funny thing is most people do not know how to properly set up a sizing die. Use a Wilson with an arbor press for seating.