Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding~ Competition or "S" type dies ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

Redding~ Competition or "S" type dies ???

Hiya Guys,

I am new to reloading and think I may have made a mistake.

I have purchased a set of Redding bushing competition dies and am not sure if I should have just got the "S" type dies instead.

What is the difference in them?

Do the competition dies size the inside of the neck or do I have to buy further gadgets for that as well. I have looked on the Redding site and it is not clear.

I have been looking at just resizing the necks of the norma brass that I have and there doesn't appear to be anything to resize the inside of the neck, should there be?

I know I have to buy different bushed to compensate for the thickness if the shell walls, but doesn't the inside of the neck need sizing too?
Old 08-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Redding~ Competition or "S" type dies ???

Call Redding and talk to a technician.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Gold Member

Re: Redding~ Competition or "S" type dies ???

With the bushing dies there is nothing to size the inside of the necks, and no need to. They rely on the necks being a uniform thickness, you will probably have to "trim" (can't think of the exact term at the moment) the necks to a uniform thickness, they make tools for it.
The traditional style of sizing die oversizes the neck and them relies on the expanding button to open the neck back up to the desired size.

Stu.