Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Redding Competition Bushing Style - Neck Sizing Die - Interchangeable Bushings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Redding Competition Bushing Style - Neck Sizing Die - Interchangeable Bushings

[QUOTE=phorwath;252354]
The case body and shoulder angle on all the RUMs are basically the same to my knowledge, so I think the 338 RUM bushing neck sizing die would be completely functional with the proper sized bushing for the 300 RUM, 7mm RUM or my wildcat 25 RUM.

the 338rum is a different size case than the 7, 300, and 375. it's about .090 shorter. that's what i was talking about with the length issue. i just reread your post and i think my statement is unnecessary. case body....shoulder angle...got cha.

someone else said they thought you could go up or down one caliber size. this makes sense because of what i was trying to explain about the shoulder juncture.

is there a term for breaking the barrel in and having it burnt out at the same time?

Unread 01-07-2009, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Redding Competition Bushing Style - Neck Sizing Die - Interchangeable Bushings

[QUOTE=davewilson;252362]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
is there a term for breaking the barrel in and having it burnt out at the same time?
The closest term I could think of is overbore fun! The worst ending is I'll have to buy a new barrel. I'll go up in caliber to 7mm or 300 RUM is the barrel life if the 25 RUM life is too short-lived.

Here's some follow-up information for those interested. This has application to the RUM shooters - could save someone a little money.

I studied my Redding 388 RUM competition bushing style neck sizing die for a while tonight, and then used it to neck size a 7mm RUM case, simply by replacing my .362" neck bushing (for my 338 Edge) with a .310" neck bushing suitable for the 7mm RUM case. You simply need to back off the micrometer adjustment to ensure the neck bushing only sizes the neck, and doesn't impact and deform the case shoulder. With my 25 RUM, I'll have to back off the micrometer adjustment even more, because the smaller the neck size, the longer the shoulder, and the shoulder of the case will protrude up through the sliding sleeve even farther. This just means the 25 RUM neck could be deformed even more than with the 7mm RUM case if precaution isn't taken to back off the micrometer adjustment.

In conclusion: The 338 RUM Redding competition bushing style neck sizing die can also be used to neck size 300 RUM, 7mm RUM, and even 25 RUM cases. When you size down more than one caliber, such as when going from 338 down to 7mm RUM or 25 RUM, the case shoulder will likely protrude up through the sliding sleeve to the point that the case neck could be driven up into the neck bushing and deform the case shoulder after sizing down the entire neck of the case. In order to size the neck only, you'll have to back off the micrometer adjustment to ensure the case shoulder isn't driven up into contact with the neck bushing.

So I'm going to order the appropriate neck bushings for the 25 RUM. $10 for a neck bushing is a lot more cost effective than purchasing an entirely new competition bushing style neck sizing die. If you happen to own a Redding 338 RUM competition bushing style neck sizing die, you can use that same die to bushing neck size the 300 RUM or the 7mm RUM. If you own the 300 RUM bushing style neck sizing die, you can also use that die to neck size 7mm RUM brass simply by obtaining and installing the proper sized neck bushings for the smaller calibers.

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by phorwath; 01-07-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Unread 01-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

I talked to Redding Tech staff today. Their standard recommendation is that stepping down one caliber should be fine. If stepping down two or more calibers is involved, the concerns are that the casing may not be supported as well within the sliding sleeve since their is less case shoulder present to hold the case in precise alignment with the neck bushing. After studying the sleeve arrangement last night, I don't see this being a legitimate concern. The neck bushing and casing are both held securely within the sliding sleeve - pretty much locked into place. There's the possibility that the motive for that recommendation is you'll sell more dies if you don't advise using any sizing die for more than a single cartridge.

I'll check the concentricity of my neck sized case necks just to be sure. I asked Redding if 7mm RUM sleeves were available for purchase as a separate item and the tech staff said that he didn't know. He said check with Sinclair International. I have no idea how or why Sinclair staff would know more about Redding sleeve availability than Redding staff... regardless I don't anticipate any concentricity problems using my 338 sleeve.

Last edited by phorwath; 01-07-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Unread 01-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

so i guess this 7rum bushing die i have could size my 338edge stuff with the right bushing. won't do it because i have a lovely i piece FL die from Forster.

if there were alignment issues, which i tend to agree with you it's a slim probability, you could rotate the brass a little each time just sizing a bit of the case with each increasing amount of stroke. this tends to make straighter brass.
Unread 01-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
won't do it because i have a lovely i piece FL die from Forster.
You'd better hang on to that as it is one of a kind.

I'm still waiting.....

phorwath, if that doesn't work Forester will make you a custom die for $80 and 8-9 weeks supposedly (seems reasonable in my eyes).

Last edited by MagMan; 01-07-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Unread 01-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Mag, i must admit, i put the word "lovely" in there just for you! LOL
Unread 01-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Dave,

I don't think you could use a smaller caliber bushing style - neck sizing die to neck size a larger caliber case. The smaller neck diameter reamed into the sliding sleeve from the smaller caliber sleeve would prevent the larger diameter case neck from fully engaging the sleeve. Try to chamber one of your 338 Edge cases into the sliding sleeve of your 7mm RUM die. I'm virtually certain the 338 caliber case neck won't slide through the 7mm-sized neck reamed into the 7mm RUM sleeve.

So this only works one way to my knowledge. If you have the bushing style neck sizing die and sliding sleeve for the larger caliber, you can use that die and sleeve for smaller caliber cases with the same body taper and shoulder angle. Just need to install the proper sized neck bushing.

But this won't work the other way around. I'd try it for you but I only have the 338 RUM die and sleeve.