close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Redding competition bushing die set

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Silver Member

Re: Redding competition bushing die set

You bet, I'll do that.

Anymore comments on the Redding set?
    Unread 06-28-2009, 04:56 PM
    Platinum Member

"I'm asking this because if the factory neck isn't too badly oversize, the good die set may be beneficial, right???"

Part of what I meant is that you may already have a good die set and no other die will improve on that. No dies are magic, no matter how much we spend on them. If your present dies do a good job that's all you gonna get! But Reddings are pretty and that micrometer head does make small seating changes easier.

"Polishing the ball would give me a bit more neck tension as well, Right??"

Sorta, in a way. But, is that good? If you reduce the diameter of the expander it will sure make the neck smaller but that ain't really a good thing! Actually, the less we work necks the better chance they have of being straight. Part of that includes how much we have to re-expand it with the base of a bullet when seating. Light seating is good enough but heavy seating pressure is quite likely to distort necks. The factories usually do a good job with expanders, I believe willy-nilly "polishing" them is a greatly over-rated "fix" for anything!

Unread 06-28-2009, 05:09 PM
    Platinum Member

I guess that just goes to show that there is plenty of room for gray area. I'm not saying that you should grind down your expander ball, rather polish it to reduce the friction that it has on the inside of the case neck.
    Unread 06-29-2009, 01:44 AM
    Silver Member

If you want to improve the run-out of your loads, use a sleeved seating die, like Redding's Competition or Forster's.

To extend brass life, use a sizing routine that doesn't include an expanding button.
    Unread 06-29-2009, 01:01 PM
    Platinum Member

Eric - .003" clearance each side is fine.

Britz - I skim turn my 22-250's and other varmint brass, after 2 or 3 reloads. Just take off about .0005", enough to make them uniform all around, and that is enough. Annealing is to return brass to its pliable form; do this about every 5 - 8 reloads.
    Unread 06-30-2009, 10:29 AM
    Platinum Member

Eric,

Sounds as though you've latched on to some benchrest techniques for a factory hunting rifle. It beats watching American Idol, but you shouldn't really expect it to turn the gun into a competitive rig. Several posts here have mentioned the neck tension issue, and I concur. Personally, I avoid using expander balls in many cases, and virtually always set the neck tension up to where the expander ball's passage (if I absolutely have to use one) creates no more than a barely perceptable kiss during its trip back out of the neck. Polishing the factory ball is a good thing, as is their optional carbide expander ball kit. If you have to "pop" it back out, you're overworking the brass. To that end, yes, I absolutely LOVE Redding's bushing dies. Personally, I prefer the Type "S" dies. They're a bit less expensive, and I didn't see any real advantage (for my own reloading, anyway) to the Competition Bushing dies. Different story for their Competition seting die, and I use them religiously. The goal here, throughout all of these steps, is concentricity. Straight ammo is the first step to straight shooting ammo, if you get my drift. I'd suggest that you invest in a concentricity gage (Sinclair makes a nice one, as does RCBS and several others) and focus your reloading efforts on making the straightest ammo you possibly can as a starting point, and then refine the process from there. Optimum seating depths, optimum powder charge weights and type, and then (at last) you might start dabbling with some of the more esoteric benchrest techniques. I think you'll probably see your best results if you follow this course, rather than immediately diving into neck-turning and that sort of thing.

Hope this helps,

Kevin
    Unread 07-09-2009, 12:23 AM
    Silver Member

Thanks alot for the help. I've been away for a bit, and just checked back in.

I hate watching American Idol. I'd rather be doing something else. But, I'm not trying to turn my hunting rifle into a bench gun. I paid good money for the rifle I'm shooting, and I just want to get the most out of it that I can.

A concentricity guage is high on the list of things to get. With that I can check to see what works, and what doesn't work.

Thanks again, Eric