Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding Comp seater runout?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Redding Comp seater runout?

I have a RCBS Rockchucker supreme press and my runout on my 7mag is very good between .0005-002" I use lee collet necksizer and a Redding comp seater with nosler brass and 160grs accubonds. So now my problem, I also have the exact same setup for my 280AI using the same dies and brass, and the bullets are 140 accubonds, so why do I get runout of 0035"-009" out of my setup for the 280 AI? I have tried using an O-ring under the seater and it got a little better around 003" to 005" but that is not what I like. I am also waiting for my gunsmith to ream my Forster comp seater with the reamer used for my chamber and then I can compare if it gets better. But aside from that why is the 7mag get much less runout than my 280AI?
Thanks
Elmer
Old 04-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Redding Comp seater runout?

"why is the 7mag get much less runout than my 280AI?"

Better brass. You probably need to turn the 280 necks a bit. No seater can seat bullets straight if the interior of the necks are non-concentric. If I'm right, working on the dies won't accomplish a thing.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

What type of runout? Case runout? Bullet Runout? Where are you taking your measurements? Difference in brass? Rotating cases during seating?

I suggest you go back a few steps and test for runout during the whole process to find out exactly where it develops. You may be able to find a certain step that gives you the most runout and work to solve exactly that problem.

Or maybe you are "stacking tolerances". A little runout here and a little there leaves you with a trainwreck at the end.

Boomtube, are you talking about inside neck reaming, or outside neck turning or both?

I agree working on the dies MAY help but MAY not the source of the problem
Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheninge View Post
What type of runout? Case runout? Bullet Runout? Where are you taking your measurements? Difference in brass? Rotating cases during seating?

I suggest you go back a few steps and test for runout during the whole process to find out exactly where it develops. You may be able to find a certain step that gives you the most runout and work to solve exactly that problem.

Or maybe you are "stacking tolerances". A little runout here and a little there leaves you with a trainwreck at the end.

Boomtube, are you talking about inside neck reaming, or outside neck turning or both?

I agree working on the dies MAY help but MAY not the source of the problem
Bullet runout between 003" to 009" average 005", Case runout 001" to 0035" average 0025" all these are from once fired Nosler 280 AI brass, I will check runout after the range this fri ti see how they are coming out of my chamber, will post numbers.
Thanks
Elmer
Old 04-09-2009, 01:54 AM
Silver Member

Variation.

If you're using tools with wide production variances to save money and hope that it won't come to play, the more you play, the more you lose.

If you're using considerably more pressure sizing the AI loads, I'd look at the press. On the other hand, what does the run-out look like on the fired AI cases?

Last edited by Winchester 69; 04-09-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:06 AM
Silver Member

I was having the same problems as you,I had good runout just prior to seating the bullet.I am using a Forster comp. seating die.After experimenting,it just came down to technique,I would try different seating techniques,and write down the results to see which one worked the best.I would seat them with one steady pull,seat a little then rotate 90 degrees,then seat the rest of the way,seat a little,and keep rotating 180 degrees each time,until it was fully seated.I would try several approaches,loading 3 rounds at a time,then write down the average runout from each technique and see which way gave me the best average runout.With my equipment,rotating 90 degrees at a time,until fully seated gave me the best results,about .002'' runout on average.I also started finding the high spot on my runout,and gently applying a little pressure on it with my thumb and by doing that,I can pretty much get my runout down to .0005''.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQguy View Post
I was having the same problems as you,I had good runout just prior to seating the bullet.I am using a Forster comp. seating die.After experimenting,it just came down to technique,I would try different seating techniques,and write down the results to see which one worked the best.I would seat them with one steady pull,seat a little then rotate 90 degrees,then seat the rest of the way,seat a little,and keep rotating 180 degrees each time,until it was fully seated.I would try several approaches,loading 3 rounds at a time,then write down the average runout from each technique and see which way gave me the best average runout.With my equipment,rotating 90 degrees at a time,until fully seated gave me the best results,about .002'' runout on average.I also started finding the high spot on my runout,and gently applying a little pressure on it with my thumb and by doing that,I can pretty much get my runout down to .0005''.
But when applying pressure on the high spot and fixing the runout does affect neck tension differently from Rnd to Rnd, and wont that affect accuracy of the rnds in any way just curious in your results after having done that?
Thanks
Elmer