Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Redding Bullet Seating Micrometer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Redding Bullet Seating Micrometer

I ordered the Redding bullet seating micrometer to use with my seating die for my 7mm Weatherby and received it a couple of days ago. Yesterday I was passing through Cabelas and found that they carried the 7mm 168gr Bergers for my 7mm Remington Magnum so I picked up a box of 100 to try. I know that Redding makes a special bullet seating micrometer for the VLD bullet. However, with the "regular" one I just purchased also work, or should I get the one for the VLD bullet?

I figured that someone on the site has probably tried this before and could answer the question.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Redding Bullet Seating Micrometer

I think as long as the tip doesn't bottom out it will work if fine.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 09-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

I've used my Redding micrometer seating die for the same bullet in my 7mm Rem Mag and haven't had any issues. Should work just fine.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Here's the deal. It is dependant on neck tension. Even though the tip may not bottom out in the plug the contact area where the seating plug contacts the bullet could be a very narrow band. If so, and you are running a lot of neck tension it will make a grove in the bullet while seating them. Many have done this and blamed the bullets for poor performance on game when the actual truth is they damaged the bullet tips while loading them. So, seat one and then do a Ray Charles test for a grove in the bullet where it contacts the plug. If you feel a grove you need a plug with a wider contact area on the bullet.

Jeff
Old 09-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Here's the deal. It is dependant on neck tension. Even though the tip may not bottom out in the plug the contact area where the seating plug contacts the bullet could be a very narrow band. If so, and you are running a lot of neck tension it will make a grove in the bullet while seating them. Many have done this and blamed the bullets for poor performance on game when the actual truth is they damaged the bullet tips while loading them. So, seat one and then do a Ray Charles test for a grove in the bullet where it contacts the plug. If you feel a grove you need a plug with a wider contact area on the bullet.

Jeff
I forgot to mention that ^^ i heard about it on an episode of EOL tv.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 09-03-2012, 04:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post

Jeff
Jeff, that is true. I have had that happen. But, the "groove" is normally very shallow and more like a scratch around the bullet surface about .050" below the meplat. I have shot them, and found it will not affect accuracy.

The meplat should never touch bottom of the seater plug cup. If it does, call the die manufacturer and they will send you a deeper one. You can check this by putting a tad of Prussion blue on the tip when seating.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the tip, Broz. I played with a VLD and the micrometer by hand and note where it could easily make a groove near the tip. I suspect I'll be using a different micrometer for these.