Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Recommended Reloading Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: Recommended Reloading Equipment

I wish I had my own range! Fortunately, I live in the deserts of New Mexico and can pretty much shoot up to a mile with just a 10 minute drive and our local club range is a 20 minute drive. Lots of open country here

You give good sound advice boomtube and thanks for the invite. Same goes here! Keep up the good writing!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Buffalobob, have you priced a good set of beam type scales lately? The cheaper models are crap with plastic parts (new RCBS balance scale i was not impressed with), and a good set is around 150$. So when I bought my RCBS chargemaster, what is an extra 150$ to spring for the extra brainpower? The chargemaster can be bought for 300 virtually everywhere, and I have seem a few go for $250 or so on ebay. The true tale will be how long these machines can last. Will I be using my same chargemaster in 20 years...??? (probably not)

All the cost of reloading is nothing compared to the pricetag of a custom rifle!
Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

My scale is 20 years old and is all metal. No foreign oil in mine, just good ole American strip mining and let the dirt run downhill into the river.

You might want to check you calculator as it may be made out of cheap plastic. The last f-class match cost me $104.00 in reloaded ammo alone (that does not include any match fees). The cost of reloading components and dies has almost exceeded the cost of the custom rifle I use (minus the scope).
Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Especially since you can't have just one rifle! More rifles mean more dies and more components and more scopes. Its a vicious cycle. Have to include the cost of the scope though unless your shooting iron sights!

Yep, calculator says made in China! Chinese plans for world domination are to ship other countries (US) all the cheap crap that breaks, so when they attack we won't have anything here that actually works!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
No foreign oil in mine, just good ole American strip mining and let the dirt run downhill into the river.
a bit off the main topic - but i am still LMAO after reading that! Reminds me of the 'town' I grew up in. More mine tailings than normal dirt!

In my opinion, while this site is an amazing resource, i think many people need to get to the garage and reload or get out to the range or buy a tag and go to the woods rather than worry worry worry about what their equipment so much. Don't get me wrong, I've asked my far share of 'what to buy' questions. but i honestly believe that much of the equipment that guys have will out shoot many of the shooters. the only way to fix that is to go shooting!!!

Back to the real topic - the best way to start reloading is to try and find someone that can teach you hands on. If you don't know anyone close by, try this forum. chances are someone within driving distance will be more than willing to help out. That way you can figure out what works for you without having to pay full cost for everything up front. Then you can piece together a personal 'starter kit' designed just for you! I suggest this simply because that's what has always worked for me, i get too confused looking at the 45 different chamfering tools available on midway trying to decide which one is the best.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

I can guarantee that my equipment can outshoot me! But this is how I want it. This leaves plenty of room for improvement in the real weak link in the chain...ME!

I do think people think sometimes assume that the fancier the equipment bought somehow magically make you a marksman. Fact is though, shooting sports can be an expensive hobby altogether.

People should use the range to answer their questions, but some questions are very legitimate and this website is VERY diverse. All kinds of questions/answers from very different thinking minds.

Reloading feeds the OCRD genes