Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Recommended Reloading Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: Recommended Reloading Equipment

Olsonj85, I use

1)Forster and K&M arbor press where appropriate
2)Forster/Redding FL or S type neck dies
3)HOT 100 forster neck turner
4)Wilson/Sinclair ultimate trimmer w/ micrometer
5)RCBS chargemaster w/ checkweights
6)Custom wilson style seater die chambered w/ same reamer (if custom barrel) or forster/redding competition seating dies for factory barrels.
7)Assortment of Sinclair/mitutoyo/starrett gauges
8)Sinclair deburring/chamfering tools
9)Sinclair neck sorting tool
10)Sinclair primer seating tool

**Sinclair drill bit case driver adapter (might just be best investment for the money!!!)

This may seem like alot, but over several years, the wife hardly knew what hit her! Start with the basics and buy 1 nice tool every other month!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

There's no point in buying stuff that's working against you. The trick is in identifying it. Is it green? Is it red? What shade? Where's it made? So Lee's good, why's it so cheap?

Questions. Questions. Who can you believe? So it's cheap. Should you believe it? So people have been using it for 50 years. Is it still the same?

So long as people are shading the truth, you'll have to find out for yourself. Wouldn't it help if those making recommendations knew what they are talking about? Why don't they? Or do they? Do they know?

Gee. I forgot to mention blue.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

Love your post Winchester69, but not sure it helped the thread starter! Probably confused the hell out of him! Oh Oh, what color am I?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

For those who haven't used the equipment, or even seen it, maybe reading these posts gives them a perspective. I doubt it. Fifty years from now, they'll still be recommending the stuff that they bought when they didn't know what they were doing. That's optimistic. The subversives will have outlawed the practice.

The novices need to be able to evaluate what they're buying after the guidance. Not just buying on the impressions they've formed after reading feedback to their questions.

It should be broken down into two categories: what's good, and what people use anyway. Who provides the criteria? Ain't nuthin' published. How do you make a decision? Go and look for yourself, if you can tell the difference.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

Political views aside, your view is fair enough, but rather pessimistic. My parents can't even turn on a computer! I actually brought home some of my dad's old .30-06 reloads, but I won't even shoot them. Seems I made a bit of progress in 20 years.

I agree. Use the range to determine what works for you. Use science and theory to develop a load and art of the science to put it in the x ring! Too many people rely on what they "have heard works". However, what is good for you, may not be good for someone else, so keep an open mind.

So fifty years from now my views will be BS? I'm ok with the fact that my son won't agree with my views in fifty years, but he damn sure (as taught) will base his views on PROOF and experimentation.

Never underestimate human stupidity, human panic, or a liberals idea of "gun control"
Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

"If... you are an old retired husband that enjoys tinkering in the garage while the kids are off to college and your wife cooks in the kitchen (boomtube?), maybe all those "traditional" methods work well...for you"

I resemble that remark! And, yeah, it seems your last comment - 'for you'' - is the key to our collective wisdom.

I'm a rifleman who shoots a little pistol. For a lot of reasons, seems my clan is a minority these days, acess to rifle ranges is a big factor I know.

Rife ammo for target, varmint and long range hunting does NOT respond well to speedy methods, IMHO. But fun plinking, casual target shooting and most of the current pistol sports need larger volumes of non-critical ammo. That doesn't suffer much from speed loading and are more agreeable to the pressures of time. Perhaps we, and our questioners, would all be better seved IF we point out what perspective we are seeing things from.

My kids are long out of college, thank God! And I am fortunate enough to own 10 acres along a river bottom that include my own 100 yd. range. I no longer punch a clock so I do have more free time than I used to. It's not much, really, but it's MINE! (And any of you are welcome to visit! )
Old 03-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If... you are an old retired husband that enjoys tinkering in the garage while the kids are off to college and your wife cooks in the kitchen (boomtube?), maybe all those "traditional" methods work well...for you"
My wife still works and I do the cooking.

I have no need for a $300 annealing device when I can go out to the garage and find a carriage bolt and socket and hook it up to my drill. Neither do I need a $300 computer driven automatic metering powder measurer when I can sit and use my old RCBS balance and measure them one at a time while watching "Blade" or "Kill Bill" or "Doom". With the money I save I can buy a preference point for a Desert Bighorn sheep in Nevada, apply for two permits for deer and two for elk and another Desert Bighorn in Utah and six tags for antelope in Wyoming - all at nonresident prices. Well, that might be a slight exaggeration the more I think about it. Those nonresident tags are pretty expensive.

Plus my ammo is money back guaranteed to kill animals at long range - real animals not the commonly killed invisible ones.