Recently Tested .270, .308, and .300 Win Mag
Caliber Bullet Pwd Amt Pwd Type Grp Size " MV Energy Gun
.270 Win 130 NP +1Min,-1Max IMR 4064 BAD Vanguard
.270 Win 130 NP 53.2 H100V 2.621 2920 2457 Vanguard
.270 Win 140 BT +1Min,-1Max IMR 4064 BAD Vanguard
.270 Win 140 BT 52.8 H100V 1.978 2810 2451 Vanguard
.308 Win 150BT 41.4 IMR 3031 1.318 2650 2335 VTR
.308 Win 155 SMK 39.5 IMR 3031 0.808 2550 2235 VTR
.308 Win 155 SMK BAD IMR 4064 BAD VTR
.308 Win 165 BT 43.0 IMR 4064 0.851 2725 2716 10FP
.308 Win 175 SMK +1Min,-1Max IMR 3031 NT 10FP
.308 Win 175 SMK +1Min,-1Ma IMR 4064 NT 10FP
.300 Win Mag 175 SMK 67.5 H100V 0.789 2950 3377 110BA
.300 Win Mag 175 SMK 69.5 H100V 0.783 2975 3435 110BA
.300 Win Mag 190 SMK 63 H100V 1.55 2800 3303 110BA
.300 Win Mag 190 SMK 67.5 RE-19 1.241 2725 3129 110BA
.300 Win Mag 200 NP 65.5 H100V 0.769 2730 3305 110BA
NP= Nosler Partition
BT= Nosler Ballistic Tip
SMK= Sierra Match King
H100V= Hodgdon Hybrid 100V
VTR= Remington 700 VTR
I just finished up some pre-deployment leave (deployed a couple days ago), during which I had my first reloading/handloading experiences. I have to say, they were nothing short of incredible and enjoyable. Me and my dad got to spend long hours in what we now call our "Man Cave" prepping hundreds of rounds for me to test-- and test I did. The above groups were all shot out of the prone at 200 yards off a bipod into targets roughly 2 feet off the ground. My test guns were a Remington 700 VTR .308, a Weatherby Vanguard .270, a Savage 10FP (my other thread with its new paint job), and a Savage 110BA (my newest and favorite addition to my personal arsenal, lol). Our setup consists of a Rock Chucker, an RCBS digital scale, a Cabela's brand micrometer, and consisted of .308 and .300 Win Mag Hornady New Dimension Dies for only a few hours until I realized what a pain in the ass they are and how much I would rather spend my Cabela's gift cards on something more useful-- like brass, and a bottle of Advil I picked up at Walgreen's to combat the headache (and elbow ache) they gave me. This guy will definitely be sticking with RCBS dies-- not sure why I tried to fix something that certainly wasn't broken.
With the dies... if you use RCBS dies, I suggest putting 2 (or 3, once the first couple have been semi-crushed) #8 lead BB's inside of the locking collar, and then screwing the set screw in, so as to help avoid stripping. Also, I replaced the original set screws with stainless steel set screws twice the original length so as to aid in the security of my lock and to aid in removing them, by use of needlenose pliers, in case I do happen to strip them out.
In addition to this data, if anybody has a particular interest in any of these, I have generated ballistic reports for them in 50yd increments all the way out to 1k. I sure can't wait to get back in a few months (just a short deployment this go-round for this Marine grunt) and really stretch it out. I did shoot the 110BA out to 500yds and can tell you that it consistently shot .5-.75MOA with the rounds listed, but I never bothered to write anything down except at 200. I also might add that I didn't get to test 2 of the 175gr .308 loads due to the fact that my Savage's Accu-Trigger began malfunctioning again, but more on that later-- I think I fixed the problem by increasing my trigger's pull weight; we'll see within the first week I'm home.
One last note-- it seems my rifles don't much care for 4064 which I find odd, to say the least, due to the fact that it is and has been one of the most popular powders with which to load .30 caliber for some time now. In addition, the Vanguard did not hold groups near as well as I thought it could, but I will go ahead and assume that is because it is not a "true Weatherby."
Tell me what you think, offer advice, and/or PM me if you'd like more info on any given load or the equipment I used.