Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

reasonable chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

reasonable chronograph

I've never had or used a chronograph. I'm going to buy one. I woulld like your opinion -input- recomendations on this. I don't think I need anything elabarate. Just something that will let me know what speeds I'm dealing with. Thanks Mike
Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: reasonable chronograph

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby View Post
I've never had or used a chronograph. I'm going to buy one. I woulld like your opinion -input- recomendations on this. I don't think I need anything elabarate. Just something that will let me know what speeds I'm dealing with. Thanks Mike
The problem with Chronos is that the less expensive ones will have you pulling your hair out wishing it it would work right every time.

My advice is cry once and get a CED M2. Mine and the others I see in use around here have been near flawless.

Now someone will be along shortly to tell you they suck but I think if you look around the reviews will be vastly more positive than negative.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Gold Member

I have had a Shooting Chrony and now have a MidwayUSA - Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph

It has a very wide opening, an easy to read large number digital display, non-jointed legs and non-jointed skyscreens. It has not missed a reading in 2 years. The Shooting Chrony was a real frustration with error messages, broken skyscreens and jointed legs.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

I bought a Shooting Chrony Masterbator (oops, I mean Master Beta) this summer. During the low light of early morning, it will not usually read velocities. When the sun is bright, use the screens over the sensors. Other than the low light issue, it has worked fine for me.

Not sure how you test accuracy of a chronograph. If you had 2 and they gave different readings, how would you know which one is right? Sort of like having 2 clocks: you're never sure exactly which time it is (unless one's an atomic clock. But there are no atomic chronographs).
Old 12-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

The most important use for chronographs is bragging about velocity on the internet.
This may seem cynical, but this is a real need and motivation. I can get 4200 fps from my .223 with Blue Dot powder and 35 gr Vmax bullets. That information is not useful directly and the load is not useful. But the chrono is indirectly useful.
It gives us a frame of reference to document and discuss our hobby, but it will never give us a better load than we can get without one.

I have shot a hole through two "shooting chrony"s.
I have shot a hole through one "pro chrono"
I am now on my second [my fourth chronograph] "pro chrono"

If I shoot a chonograph once per 10 handguns shots, and never shoot a chonograph with a rifle, then I can skip chronographing handguns for a year and get many rifle data for cheap.

I like the pro chrono much better the the shooting chonys.
The pro chrono triggers better.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
The problem with Chronos is that the less expensive ones will have you pulling your hair out wishing it it would work right every time.

My advice is cry once and get a CED M2. Mine and the others I see in use around here have been near flawless.

Now someone will be along shortly to tell you they suck but I think if you look around the reviews will be vastly more positive than negative.

+1 For the CED Millenium it is the best available today and is well worth the price..
Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
The most important use for chronographs is bragging about velocity on the internet.
This may seem cynical, but this is a real need and motivation. I can get 4200 fps from my .223 with Blue Dot powder and 35 gr Vmax bullets. That information is not useful directly and the load is not useful. But the chrono is indirectly useful.
It gives us a frame of reference to document and discuss our hobby, but it will never give us a better load than we can get without one.

I have shot a hole through two "shooting chrony"s.
I have shot a hole through one "pro chrono"
I am now on my second [my fourth chronograph] "pro chrono"

If I shoot a chonograph once per 10 handguns shots, and never shoot a chonograph with a rifle, then I can skip chronographing handguns for a year and get many rifle data for cheap.

I like the pro chrono much better the the shooting chonys.
The pro chrono triggers better.

I'm gunna disagree w/ you on that one!
Knowing your velocity is key in determining a starting point for creating a drop chart. Also, many here use a chrono to help check for consistant velocity rounds. I have an inexpensive master crony and I still feel it is a good investment for $70. I don't trust every reading it gives but after shooting through it several times I feel confident of the true speed at which the bullets are going. It has worked several times in concert w/ JBM calcs to create accurate drop charts for my rifles.