Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS vs Redding runout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 07:26 PM

Bullet runout - Forster Dies

Gentlemen,
I would challenge any and all to try Forster Products dies. I have quit measuring runout for my 1,000 yd ammo - except to sort for 800 and practice.

You will find them superior to Redding in many respects, competitive in price --and RCBS isn't even in the game. You won't need to consider "small base" dies either.

If you match their dies with their "Co-Ax" press, you won't look back. (The Co-Ax is an upgrade and improved version of the old Bonanza press).
Old 01-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

Last time I checked the world record benchrest holder was using redding he didn't seem to have any problems.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

most of the time when you have excess runout issues it is normally the expander ball or over sizing, if you use a redding (I prefer the competition) bushing sizing die with the correct size bushing it eliminates both problems unless you have a whopper oversize factory chamber. measure the neck diameter of an unfired round then measure it again after you fire it. if the difference is .008 or more you will never get a low runout no matter what die you use. then you consider a new barrel and a custom reamer that actually fits your ammo.
UB
Old 01-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

It's really unusual to have a die without the expander making .003-.004 runnout. If you get good runnout with other calibers we can rule out the press and probably the shellholders (if good results with other calibers). That pretty much leaves us with a defective die in my opinion.

I'll give a big thumbs up for using a lee collet die in conjunction with the redding body die. There are times you may just use the collet die by itself and there are some great circumstances to use the body die. One thing I love about the body die is if I want to try some already loaded ammo in a gun with a tighter chamber I can actually resize it down for that gun. The collet die is wonderful because you can use it without lube which makes for quick reloading.....and many times you don't have to clean the brass.
You will get really great runnout with the combo.....I can guarantee that.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:05 PM

Just for kicks, a few years ago I did a comparison between my .22-250 Redding competition bushing die and the Lee collet neck sizing die. The bottom line was that the Lee die run out was approx 40% less than the Redding. From what I've heard, some benchrest shooters are using this die, although they will never admit it. "Me...use a Lee product?...Never!!"

I was hoping that my pricey Redding dies would have won but you can't argue with results.

John
NHRA
Old 02-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

This is one reason I have my dies made when the tube is chambered. Also use one of these: Concentricity Gauge