Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS vs. Hornady Electronic Powder Measure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Silver Member

RCBS vs. Hornady Electronic Powder Measure

I'm just wondering if anyone did a side by side comparison between the two. I have read plenty of articles on both, but havent' seen one with a side by side comparison. Is the RCBS version really worth the extra $100? Most of my equipment is RCBS and I love them, but at the same time why the huge price difference? Who uses these and which one do you prefer and why? Thinking of getting one to speed up my reloading from the old balance beam measuring. I haven't been reloading for long, and I have limited time so trying to make the most of the time I have. Thanks!

Win Model 70
7WSM
Work done by Jim See (Center Shot Rifles)

Old 02-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: RCBS vs. Hornady Electronic Powder Measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf18 View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone did a side by side comparison between the two. I have read plenty of articles on both, but havent' seen one with a side by side comparison. Is the RCBS version really worth the extra $100? Most of my equipment is RCBS and I love them, but at the same time why the huge price difference? Who uses these and which one do you prefer and why? Thinking of getting one to speed up my reloading from the old balance beam measuring. I haven't been reloading for long, and I have limited time so trying to make the most of the time I have. Thanks!
I suspect that if we really knew it, they're both made by the same Chinamen! I've been looking at them over and over, and decided to go with the Pact for three reasons. (1) I already own the scale part so all I need is the dispenser. (2) I use several different kinds of powders, so clean up is important to me. The Pact cleans up easier than the others. (3) Pacts are made in the USA and carry a lifetime warranty. Oh yes! The Pact is cheaper than the RCBS
gary
Old 02-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Gold Member

both work close to the same but the Horndady deff. feels a whole lot cheaper. I think the rcbs is worth the extra money.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 02-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

I have a Pact and sent it in for service the end of Dec so the lifetime warrenty is nice. I am also upgrading the software. It isn't the speediest service in the world, however, as I haven't gotten it back yet.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

What is the "pact"?

Win Model 70
7WSM
Work done by Jim See (Center Shot Rifles)

Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Silver Member

It is a made in America dispenser/scale with a lifetime warranty. When I purchased mine, I believe that RCBS used it and put their name on it. At least they looked identical.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH Hunter View Post
I have a Pact and sent it in for service the end of Dec so the lifetime warrenty is nice. I am also upgrading the software. It isn't the speediest service in the world, however, as I haven't gotten it back yet.
Pact did a revision about a year, and they are much faster now. But just how much speed do you really need? Your loading fifty rounds, and it takes thirty seconds to fill the pan. But on the otherhand your seating the bullet in the previous case. I see little difference in the needed speed of any of them when working off a single stage press. And when it comes to ball powders; all operate at a snails pace compaired to my Harrell
gary

Last edited by Trickymissfit; 02-22-2011 at 04:22 PM.