Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS rockchucker supreme deluxe at cabelas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Re: RCBS rockchucker supreme deluxe at cabelas

Shop the other reloading websites (Midsouth, Natchezz, Wideners, Grafs) for deals first. If there is a Cabelas in your state you'll be paying sales tax on it. I give the local shops first consideration but don't want to lose my shirt over it.

Between ebay, craigs list and gun shows I don't buy much reloading tools new anymore. I picked up a rock chucker press at a gun show last month for $65.

The wife wants to know why I have three RCBS 10-10 scales. Because they can be had for about $35 at gun shows. Compared to over $100 new.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Don't let the kid down the road get a hold of one of those scales. I suspec they would be good for weighing dope.....
Old 12-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjz View Post
No. Is my short answer. My long answer is that if you are brand new and don't have a clue as to what you might want or need but are in a big hurry to get started, it might not be a bad option.

Rock Chuckers are great presses. I have three of them set up on my reloader bench. I have not purchased one new and have not paid more than $175 for any of them. They can be had on Flea Bay and Craigs List, used for under $200 pretty readily if you keep an eye out.

I have been reloading for over 20 years so I have developed some definate likes and dislikes during that timeframe amongst the scads of reloading equipment out there.

Without going into a lot of detail, here is what I wish I would have bought the first time around.

- A Rock Chucker press (The Co-Ax is a great press if you can justify the money.)

- A RCBS Balance Beam scale. (Unless you spend a lot of money, I have not found an electronic scale that is as good as a upper end RCBS blanace beam type scale.)

- I like the large blue brass tumbler from Dillon. I can put a crapload in it at one time and it has been doing a good job for the last 15 years. I have literally cleaned a ton of brass with it.

- I like the RCBS micrometer powder dispenser. Yeah, it has a few issues when dealing with stick powders but thats what tricklers are for. It will literally last forever.

- I have a Forster case trimmer, every possible brand of dies and more crazy guages as specialty tools than I'd like to admit to.

It's an addiction that I have gotten thousands of hours of satisfaction out of. Good luck!
when you start to crunch all the numbers the cost difference comes together quickly between the Co-Ax and the RCBS press. Besides the Co-Ax has a made in USA lable on it instead of made in China. It will probably last you a couple life times, and if you grow tired of it just sell it on Ebay for almost what you paid for it.

No powder measure does stick powders very well. I like the cheap Lyman #55.
gary
Old 12-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
when you start to crunch all the numbers the cost difference comes together quickly between the Co-Ax and the RCBS press. Besides the Co-Ax has a made in USA lable on it instead of made in China. It will probably last you a couple life times, and if you grow tired of it just sell it on Ebay for almost what you paid for it.

No powder measure does stick powders very well. I like the cheap Lyman #55.
gary
the newer RCBS are Chinese??? I knew their calipers had gone there, but I wasn't aware the presses had.....I've got a newer model original rockchucker, is that Chinese??
Old 12-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

I was a bit taken back by that myself so I went out in the shop and looked. Mine is about 3 years old. I can't find any 'made in China' anywhere on the casting. I wouldn't doubt it in as much as about all the casting houses are gone from America, due in large part to the EPA and their suffocating regulations.....

We won't say where Caterpillar blocks are made or Cummins or DDEC. Lets just say not here............

On precision tools, I'm still all LSS, Athol, Mass.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Don't let the kid down the road get a hold of one of those scales. I suspec they would be good for weighing dope.....
don't worry too much about that--- they weigh in grams and are probably to baked to convert it out
Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
the newer RCBS are Chinese??? I knew their calipers had gone there, but I wasn't aware the presses had.....I've got a newer model original rockchucker, is that Chinese??
just reboxed and some assembly here
gary