Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS Rock Chucker Priming Tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

RCBS Rock Chucker Priming Tool

I have an older Rock Chucker single stage press with the little aluminum pivot arm for priming cases.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...&route=C06J030

The other day I was swapping from small primers to large primes and the threads in the pivot arm came out on the priming pin. So I was on the RCBS website and noticed they have the Rock Chucker Suppreme Auto Priming set up with the push button to prime the case.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...&route=C06J030

I do not think this will fit my older Rock Chucker but I figure I would ask if anyone has tried. It looks like it might load primers better than the old pivot type. If I am going to buy new parts I would rather upgrade than get the old system that did not load that well when the tube got low on primers.

Thanks
SES50
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown

Old 07-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: RCBS Rock Chucker Priming Tool

Get the Lee hand prime and the shell holder kit for it. I think it will be around $25 total and you'll throw the rest of your RCBS primer parts in the recycle bin.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=807875

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=566058

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Last edited by AJ Peacock; 07-21-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

So, I primarily use Federal GM210 and GM215 primers. The Lee information say they should not be used in this primer tool. Has anyone had or know anyone that has had issues loading federal primers with the Lee Priming Tool?

Thanks
SES50
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 07-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

I've loaded all kinds, the thing the lawyers at lee are concerned about is that some primers are softer than others and you can (in theory) get one to ignite and set all of them off in the tray. I've reloaded many types of primers (including GM215's, Rem 9 1/2, Win Small Pistol Magnum, CCI 250's, Fed 215's, CCI 200's, CCI450's, CCI-BR2's) I haven't reloaded the GM210's though.

I've never had a mishap, but maybe I haven't loaded enough using the Lee hand prime (probably only 200,000 or so (I wore out my first Lee Hand prime a few years ago).

As always, please make the decision yourself, as we are all responsible for our own actions.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info. I may buy one to try it out since they are so cheap.

Does anyone have any information on the original question on the fitting of the RCBS Suppreme primer parts fitting onto to the old Rock Chucker Press?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Whatever you decide, always wear safety glasses and hearing protection while priming. With the Lee tool, I can prime 100 brass in less than 10 minutes while actually taking my time!

AJ

Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SES50 View Post
Does anyone have any information on the original question on the fitting of the RCBS Suppreme primer parts fitting onto to the old Rock Chucker Press?
You might want to give RCBS a call for that one.