Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS resizing die ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

RCBS resizing die ?

Can you reduce the size of the expander portion of the resizing die?It seems to put alot of stress on the case neck when I pull the die out of the case mouth,wich is probably a bad thin when you are trying to keep everything concentric.I was just afraid if I shaved the expander down too far,it would be too hard to seat bullets.Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Are you having a problem with concentricity?

Instead of grinding it down try it with the expander button removed. Compare the neck diameter from one sized with the button and one without.

I'm a believer that you can produce good quality ammo with reasonably low run outs with standard dies.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQguy View Post
Can you reduce the size of the expander portion of the resizing die?It seems to put alot of stress on the case neck when I pull the die out of the case mouth,wich is probably a bad thin when you are trying to keep everything concentric.I was just afraid if I shaved the expander down too far,it would be too hard to seat bullets.Any advice would be appreciated.
Your problem is not with the expander ball. It must stay caliber size if it is to be used. The real problem is in the neck sizing portion of the die itself. Regular dies squeeze the neck portion down to as much as one or two calibers smaller and then the expander ball brings it back to the right caliber. So it is a lot of extra movement that the brass goes through.

Do yourself a big favor and buy a Redding type s bushing die. WIth the bushings, you can dictate how much neck tension you have and the expander ball can be totally removed from the equation. Runouts of "zero" can be attained with these type of dies.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Gold Member

KQguy,
What you're describing is friction as you drag the expander button through the neck of your cases.This is normal.
I wouldn't touch the expander until you have tried this!
With a neck brush of the correct diameter,a little bit larger than bullet diameter,dip the brush in powdered GRAPHITE,remove any excess,and run it into each case before re-sizing.You will know when you need to add more graphite when the cases begin to drag on the expander again.
This method will give you better cocentricity because the expander won't drag heavier on one side more than the other,this is what the dragging is.
Thsi will also make your necks stretch less,when the expander drags one side of the neck,it pulls that brass with it,making it longer on one side only.You can visually check this.
MagnumManiac
Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
Your problem is not with the expander ball. It must stay caliber size if it is to be used. The real problem is in the neck sizing portion of the die itself. Regular dies squeeze the neck portion down to as much as one or two calibers smaller and then the expander ball brings it back to the right caliber. So it is a lot of extra movement that the brass goes through.

Do yourself a big favor and buy a Redding type s bushing die. WIth the bushings, you can dictate how much neck tension you have and the expander ball can be totally removed from the equation. Runouts of "zero" can be attained with these type of dies.
This statement is simply not true!
'Regular dies' do not squeeze the neck portion down to as much as one or two calibres smaller!The die only sizes the neck .001"-.002" smaller than the expander,then the expander brings the neck back up to .001"-.0025"
smaller than bullet diameter.
MagnumManiac
Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumManiac View Post
This statement is simply not true!
'Regular dies' do not squeeze the neck portion down to as much as one or two calibres smaller!The die only sizes the neck .001"-.002" smaller than the expander,then the expander brings the neck back up to .001"-.0025"
smaller than bullet diameter.
MagnumManiac

Well this one's easy to test. Pull the expander ball out of any one of your dies and measure the OD of the neck after sizing if you don't believe me.

I have a 7mm mag die that will neck down brass to a 264 win mag! That's two calibers. But most only go down around one caliber.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
Well this one's easy to test. Pull the expander ball out of any one of your dies and measure the OD of the neck after sizing if you don't believe me.

I have a 7mm mag die that will neck down brass to a 264 win mag! That's two calibers. But most only go down around one caliber.
What planet are you from?
I have just done exactly what you said,this is about number 2000,because I check every die set I buy to make sure I get the neck tension i'm after.
RCBS 300WM Neck die with expander installed,neck measures .331" exactly.Expander removed,neck measures .3295".
Expander ball diameter measures .306" exactly,what I polished it to.
You do the math!
MagnumManiac