Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS or Redding?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

RCBS or Redding?

I'm wanting to start reloading and I'm not sure what I should do. I'm looking at either buying a kit or starting from scratch. The two brands iv been looking at are RCBS and Redding. Iv loaded quite a bit using my friends equipment so I'm not a complete rookie. The one thing I do know for sure is I'm going to get the Lyman 1200 powder scale. My buddy has one and it works pretty sweet. Other than that I'm kinda stumped. Iv heard buying it piece by piece can be better because your not buying things twice if you want to upgrade and you get exactly what your going to use, but the kits look nice cause its all there ready to go. What route do you guys think is better?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

Re: RCBS or Redding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovastafford View Post
I'm wanting to start reloading and I'm not sure what I should do. I'm looking at either buying a kit or starting from scratch. The two brands iv been looking at are RCBS and Redding. Iv loaded quite a bit using my friends equipment so I'm not a complete rookie. The one thing I do know for sure is I'm going to get the Lyman 1200 powder scale. My buddy has one and it works pretty sweet. Other than that I'm kinda stumped. Iv heard buying it piece by piece can be better because your not buying things twice if you want to upgrade and you get exactly what your going to use, but the kits look nice cause its all there ready to go. What route do you guys think is better?
I use a hand me down RCBS now, it is a little old and worn but it is a good press. When I upgrade it will probably be to the Redding or the Forester Co-Ax press. As for the kits, I personally prefer just buying piece by piece so you get exactly what you need and don't have to settle for stuff you don't need or want.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Redding press and love it. I wouldn't go with the kits as there's a good chance your going to eventually want to upgrade some of those components later...If you can get what you really want upfront.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Gold Member

RCBS makes a pretty good press. I'm still using the same one I purchased years ago.

But the Redding dies are in a whole different class. Get the 3 die set in your caliber of choice and you won't be sorry. I sold off my RCBS dies long ago and only use Redding and Forester. The Forrester Comp seating die is hard to beat.

JM .02
Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 AM
GNERGY

I bought my RCBS rockchucker press when I was 16, that was 35 yrs ago and it is still working great.
Look on craigslist in your area for the basic stuff, I see it for sale all the time, lots of good deals too.
Even if you find an old RCBS press and it is worn out , send it to RCBS and they will send you a new one.
Tarey
Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNERGY View Post
Even if you find an old RCBS press and it is worn out , send it to RCBS and they will send you a new one.
You don't want a new one. The old one's are better, and RCBS can fit a new ram if needed. A new Redding press is a tighter instrument.

If you are getting a Lyman powder meter, you won't need a scale or powder measure, arguments against a kit. Get what you need piece by piece; no kit has all of the best stuff. However, Sinclair does.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Silver Member

Most of the time, kits are a way for the mfg to move things that don't sell very well

I would go piece by piece. Maybe buy a used press to see if you really want to reload. If you "KNOW" you will reload and continue to reload then maybe amp up the initial investment a little and get something like a Forester Co-Ax or similar press. There are other good presses... the Co-Ax is my preference.