Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS Precision Mic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

RCBS Precision Mic

Hello All,

Anyone want to share an opinion of your experience with the RCBS Precision Mic to check for OAL to the ogive?

My plan is to use it to measure the the oal and then use a comparitor to transfer the measure to a bullet.

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: RCBS Precision Mic

I have a set for my .300 RUM and really like it. One of the neatest features for me is checking the length of case from the head to shoulder. That tells me if I need to bump the shoulder back or not. If i do bump the shoulder, it will tell me where its at and how far I need to go. It will also measure how far your cases have stretched.

As far as the comparator goes, once I measure the OAL to the ogive, I keep on using the mic for my measurements and dont bother with a comparator. Basically you can keep checking the length on your loaded ammo with the mic. Just remember to write down what the case length is on your mic.

Its a shame they don't make them for a 338 Lapua...
Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Tom,

I use them and I like them a lot. I'm a real believer that not enough folks use gages in their reloading, so anything in that direction is likely to get a positive nod from me. There's actually a seating/OAL tool that is part & parcel of the Precision Mic. With that said, I'll have to say that this is the only portion of the Mic that I have no use for. Doing what it sounds like you're doing here (assuming I'm reading you correctly) sounds like a much better way to go. Give it a shot and let us know how it's working for you. Several other methods of determining an ideal OAL out there too, if this one doesn't work out to your satisfaction.

Hope it helps,

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 PM

I second that. I've used them for .270 Winchester and 22-250 and believe it helped dramatically in setting up a new load. I use it mainly to measure the case length from base to shoulder before and after sizing and the seating depth of the bullet. The only part of the mic kit that I have found to be inaccurate was the part with the fake round to measure the distance from the base to the rifle lands. I gradually seat the bullet further and further down, "coloring" the bullet with a marker each time, until I see it isn't touching the lands and then measure it with the mic to get a distance to rifling. I will say the fake round measured more accurately when used in my bolt action than in my Encore, so maybe it has to do with the type of action you use.

Matt
Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver10 View Post
One of the neatest features for me is checking the length of case from the head to shoulder. That tells me if I need to bump the shoulder back or not. If i do bump the shoulder, it will tell me where its at and how far I need to go. It will also measure how far your cases have stretched.
Can someone please explain what bumping the shoulder back means?

Is bumping a shoulder relative to full length sizing?

I neck size, so I'm almost always shooting fire formed brass. Even when I hunt as I've never had a problem. Does this mean I don't need to bump my shoulders?

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Tom,

Whenever we size a case, there's several different dimensions in the mix that we're changing. Full-length sizing does the most thorough job of returning the case to nearly it's original, unfired dimensions. Since the case stretches longtitudinally as well as circumfrentially, there's generally some degree of interference between the shoulder of the case and the shoulder of the chamber. Neck sizing (as the name implies) alters only the neck dimension. You may not have had any problems with hunting ammo from just neck sizing, but eventually, you will. Mr. Murphy will virtually guarantee it, and I'll add that it'll come at the most inopportune time. Sorry, just works that way. If you choose to neck size your hunting ammo (and I'd strongly recommend against it) you will still need to full length resize occasionally. Otherwise, that interference will continue to worsen, and you'll find youself pushing a bit to get the bolt to cam over and close. Full length sizing is just insurance in the field, to make sure this never becomes an issue for you. Otherwise, at some point, you won't be able to get the bolt closed. Long way to say it, but yes, you need to bump those shoulders.

The secret to best accuracy and long case life, is simply not working the brass any more than you need to assure easy and reliable chambering. But that doesn't mean doing so to the extent that you risk chambering problems, at least in my opinion. Elsewhere, we have a thread going concerning chamber gages, like the RCBS Precision Mic. A gage such as this (or any of several others out there) will allow you to bump those shoulders back by a set amount (one that you KNOW, and can measure) and you'll know you're not working the brass to any excessive degree. The best of both worlds, and I can't recommend these highly enough. Well worth the $, and the time it takes to use them. Hope that helps!

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Last edited by Kevin Thomas; 03-03-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for getting back to me. Really appreciate it.

So does the gauge tell you that the shoulders need bumping and then you do it with a sizing die? A full length sizing die?

Thanks

Tom