Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS powder scale **FAIL**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 03:03 AM
Silver Member

RCBS powder scale **FAIL**

Was gonna load up 20 rnds of 338 Edge ammo with Hornady 250 Gr and IMR4831 for barrel break in / scope sight in, then do the old 1/2 gr incremental for 275gr Swift A-Frame with RL-25

Plugged in my RCBS powder scale in order to check some throws with my Harrel Precision powder measure and my RCBS scale reads ***FAIL***

I tried unplugging it and letting it sit then plugging it back in and just letting it sit plugged in...
no change after 4 hours of being on still reads FAIL

anybody got an Idea as to whats going on, I've lost an entire day of trying to get some loads for barrel break in and working up a spring brown bear load, running out of time
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
RCBS powder scale **FAIL**-rcbs-fail.jpg  
Old 04-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: RCBS powder scale **FAIL**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
Was gonna load up 20 rnds of 338 Edge ammo with Hornady 250 Gr and IMR4831 for barrel break in / scope sight in, then do the old 1/2 gr incremental for 275gr Swift A-Frame with RL-25

Plugged in my RCBS powder scale in order to check some throws with my Harrel Precision powder measure and my RCBS scale reads ***FAIL***

I tried unplugging it and letting it sit then plugging it back in and just letting it sit plugged in...

anybody got an Idea as to whats going on, I've lost an entire day of trying to get some loads for barrel break in and working up a spring brown bear load, running out of time
try this: unplug it after shutting it off. Wait a minute or two, and then plug it back in. Now press the on button and hold it for a minute or so. It probably has it's programing scrambled and needs to reboot. If that dosn't work, I'd call RCBS on the 800 number. They are pretty good folks. The worst it could be is a load cell failure, but I doubt it.
gary
Old 04-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

According to the instruction manual your load cell has failed and you need to
contact RCBS for repair information.

I have the same scale, and I keep all the manuals for my reloading equipment.
Let us know how things turn out!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the input guys,

I've had it for a long time and I suppose its time to get a new one....

Now if I could only remember how to use those durned old fashioned balanced beam scales, I'd get to loading some ammo....
Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

:..anybody got an Idea as to whats going on,"

I think it's broke. Electronics do that.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

I like the idea that the fail-safe self-test detected that tolerances were not met and shut down rather than you detecting overpressure at the range.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys,

I've had it for a long time and I suppose its time to get a new one....

Now if I could only remember how to use those durned old fashioned balanced beam scales, I'd get to loading some ammo....
I wish we were close by, as I'd loan you a brand new one to use till you got that one fixed or replaced. That scale was built by Pact, but I still think you have to go thru RCBS to get it fixed. Have had three fo them with exactly one gremlin over fifteen years or more. Mine was a major programing error due to the operator. Pact warrants theirs for life, and I bet RCBS does as well
gary