Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS Powder Dispenser/Scale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: RCBS Powder Dispenser/Scale

I am a beam scale person but after I bought the RCBS Charge master I have since become
a believer in them.

I have a Harold's powder measure and a very accurate beam scale and plan on keeping them
to periodically check the accuracy of the RCBS and in case it malfunctions I will still have a back
up.

All of my loads were worked up on the beam scale and in the past electronic scales were off
a little and I had to adjust the weight to match the beam scale weight. So far the Charge Master
has been dead on with the beam scale.

But you cant go wrong with the Charge Master.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

I love the ChargeMaster. A thrower/scale/trickler in one unit.
All ya need is a funnel on a long droptube(about 12") and you're set.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

""Warm up" takes about 10 seconds, calibration takes about 1 minute. "

Sure, the display will "light up" in 10 seconds or less. I meant warming up enough for the electonics to become stable.

"Not sure how a (digital) scale will be affected by 'varying line voltage', "

Then you aren't very sure of how electonic things work. As a retired precision electronic instrument repair and calibration tech in the space/defense industry, I think I do. Maybe a little anyway.

As I said, those who love them love them. I don't. Made too good a living for too long a time based on the lack of reliabilty for expensive electonic gadgets to start trusting them now. Enjoy it while it lasts. I HOPE your's lasts a long time, but I don't expect it.

I do think that digitals are good for any non-critical work such as weighing cases, cast bullets, etc. But I have largely outgrown that for anything but the most precise work. For most target practice and hunting with factory weapons it just doesn't accomplish much to be that picky. That's true even for powder charges most of the time.

Last edited by boomtube; 08-06-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Silver Member

boomtube...have you ever used a Chargemaster?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
""Warm up" takes about 10 seconds, calibration takes about 1 minute. "

Sure, the display will "light up" in 10 seconds or less. I meant warming up enough for the electonics to become stable.

"Not sure how a (digital) scale will be affected by 'varying line voltage', "

Then you aren't very sure of how electonic things work. As a retired precision electronic instrument repair and calibration tech in the space/defense industry, I think I do. Maybe a little anyway.

As I said, those who love them love them. I don't. Made too good a living for too long a time based on the lack of reliabilty for expensive electonic gadgets to start trusting them now. Enjoy it while it lasts. I HOPE your's lasts a long time, but I don't expect it.

I do think that digitals are good for any non-critical work such as weighing cases, cast bullets, etc. But I have largely outgrown that for anything but the most precise work. For most target practice and hunting with factory weapons it just doesn't accomplish much to be that picky. That's true even for powder charges most of the time.
Boomtube,

When I first bought my Chargemaster 3 years ago, I marked the weight of my powder pan on my loadbook, I also took several small pieces of metal and wrote their weights on them. I reweigh the pan everytime I use the scale and it always weighs the same amount, as do those little pieces of metal (regardless if it's been on and 'warmed up' or not). I turn on the scale, calibrate it and then weigh the pan. It ALWAYS weighs the same exact amount. Then I hit the zero button and start using the scale. I don't know what scale you are referring to, but it's not mine. I've had my Chargemaster for more than 3 years and loaded thousands of rounds with it, never a hiccup.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

Through a combination of eBay and gunbroker, I ended up with an RCBS Chargemaster and a PACT equivalent. They look, act, smell and function IDENTICALLY. Buttons are the same, warm up time the same, charge speed the same.

So, someone who knows, are they really the same system in slightly different dress?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

"But, those who love digitals do love them. I don't, but I typically only load one or two boxes of rifle stuff at once and never weigh individual charges for pistol ammo, that's pointless, so my needs are modest."

'Nuff said.

I'M NOT trying to change your mind. Time will likely do that, but I can't and don't even wish to do so.