Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS, hornady or Lyman 4 a auto powder dispenser?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

i borrowed a RCBS, it was nice and fast, anyone have experience with the others?

http://sites.google.com/site/freeballisticcalculator/
Old 03-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: RCBS, hornady or Lyman 4 a auto powder dispenser?

One friend of mine has the RCBS and it works great. Another friend has the Hornady and it works well too. The Hornady did have the buttons malfunction. Sent it back to Hornady and they fixed/replaced it right away.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:11 PM

I have the Hornady and love the $100.00 it saved me over the RCBS while being reliable through 50 44grn 308 Win reloads last week. Once it overran the 44 grns by 0.1grn. Beeped to let me know and redid the dispense properly the next run. Yeah, I like the convenience. Each charge was ready after I seated the previous one.

Bill
Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

ok, it looks like after reading up, the Lyman its out... so RC or H.... 100$ difference is allot... has anyone used them side by side?

http://sites.google.com/site/freeballisticcalculator/
Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Bronze Member

I just purchased a Smart Reloader scale and powder disp. from Natchez for $165.00 with 2 year warranty. Works great.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:51 AM
Silver Member

I had an RCBS and now a Lyman. I cannot understand what others don't like about the lyman but would go with the RCBS. I do wish the scale would detach on the lyman but aside from that it does everything the RCBS does but better. It is as accurate as any of them, like all it has to be sitting level. but that is true even with balance beam scales. it is easier/quicker to empty out and change powders, it is much faster, and is generally costs less. The RCBS was awesome till I got this one, then I just stopped using it because it was more work and too slow for loading a batch of more than 20-30, I could use a drop and trickler with just the digital scale quicker. As far as throwing the charges accurately, both have the same quirks and you have to use the screw in insert provided for stick longer stick powders.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring View Post
ok, it looks like after reading up, the Lyman its out... so RC or H.... 100$ difference is allot... has anyone used them side by side?
Haven't actually seen them side-by-side, but have seen both used enough to say that it's kind of a toss up between the two. The only hit the Hornady takes is that the keypad malfunctioned and needed a factory repair. The RCBS has taken similar use and abuse and just humming right along.