Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

rcbs gold metal seater die vrs redding ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: rcbs gold metal seater die vrs redding ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoole View Post
I have two redding competition sets and two rcbs completion seating dies.

The rcbs is easy to use dropping the bullet into the window and does a good job. My redding seater does much better with runout due to the case being supported during the process. What I found that eliminates the most runout is the bushing style neck sizers because they provide even tension around the entire case neck. I inspect my brass before and after sizing either discarding or using as a fouling shot.

I do prefer the redding dies much more. I use lapua brass if I can get it in that caliber because I discard fewer pieces of brass. I use nosler for my 300 rum with great results. I get more runout when I use Remington brass.

I get .001-.002 runout commonly with the redding always correct down to .001 or smaller. I get .003-.005 with the the rcbs, but still get a good many in the .001-.002 range. I measure contrencity using both Sinclair and hornady but I correct using the hornady (I do get some small differences in measurement between the two). If I can ever get a redding competition seater for my 45-110 sharps I would be in reloading heaven.

Saying all that I am happy with results of both but prefer redding. I got the rcbs on sale and at the time needed to pinch some pennies.
I fool around with a lot of different bullets and bullet powder combos when I'm searching out a new load. I found the Redding die sets to have way more backlash built into their micrometer heads than the Forster. Have only seen one or two RCBS Competetion die sets in my life time, so won't say much good or bad about them.

As for a 45-110 seater: piece of cake if you got a reamer. You can use either a 45-70 die from Redding or Forster (you can buy the sleeve from Forster or Sinclair. Not sure about getting spare parts from Redding as I've never tried it. Redding copied Forster's design, so the rest is easy. As for the micrometer heads, I think all Forsters are interchangable. I've seen one other micrometer headed die set in either 45-110 or 45-120, but it was pretty much custom built from the start. I'm assuming your filling these cases with black powder, and love the idea. I shoot two 38-55's, and have had the want for a 40-65 for eons (in a Hi-Wall of course!)
gary
Old 06-24-2012, 09:02 PM

Yeah I will have to look into that with the 45-110. I use kik 1f for them now, we tried a lot of powders but that was the one the gun loved and br2. The pickiest gun ever. I have one coming from Shiloh with a 7 degree lead so I can only load lead and black. I will look into the sleeve. Grease grooves beat paper patch time wise thank you.

I only have the rcbs seater though, but redding has given me great results
Old 06-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

I have an RCBS comp seater die which I have used for a year or so and have found the TIR to be very good, usually .001 sometimes better sometimes worse, seems to depend on the worthiness of the case going in.
Years ago I had to send a Redding neck sizing die back because of run out, they were great and sent me a new die back no quesitons asked and in record time.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah I will have to look into that with the 45-110. I use kik 1f for them now, we tried a lot of powders but that was the one the gun loved and br2. The pickiest gun ever. I have one coming from Shiloh with a 7 degree lead so I can only load lead and black. I will look into the sleeve. Grease grooves beat paper patch time wise thank you.

I only have the rcbs seater though, but redding has given me great results
Keep this in mind with the Forster seater All of them are pretty much the samething quality, but some have the micrometer head while others don't. You can always add the micrometer head later if so desired. I'd be looking for a Forster 45-70 seater die on Ebay if I had the reamer. Also Forster will cut you a custom die fairly reasonable (they need three once fired cases)

I'm kinda entertaining the idea of building two BP metalic cartridge rifles for long range shooting (750yd.-1000yd). I seem to keep going back to the .400-.405 bullets diameters. Love Hi-Walls, and most of the better falling blocks.
gary
Old 06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
I have an RCBS comp seater die which I have used for a year or so and have found the TIR to be very good, usually .001 sometimes better sometimes worse, seems to depend on the worthiness of the case going in.
Years ago I had to send a Redding neck sizing die back because of run out, they were great and sent me a new die back no quesitons asked and in record time.
Redding acting like that is a rare animal! Usually they want to argue with you till you give up.
gary
Old 06-25-2012, 04:30 PM

The custom sounds like the easiest thank you.

I spent a lot of time with a guy that shot professionally and he shot 45-70 in competition especially 750-1000 yard. He liked 40-65 for silhouette, and his wife won a national championship with it. He hates the idea of me getting a 45-110 but I love it
Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The custom sounds like the easiest thank you.

I spent a lot of time with a guy that shot professionally and he shot 45-70 in competition especially 750-1000 yard. He liked 40-65 for silhouette, and his wife won a national championship with it. He hates the idea of me getting a 45-110 but I love it
honestly, I never heard of it till around 2002! I worked with Russ Combs (a well known BP shooter), and he put me onto it. Think at the time he had two rifles in that chambering, and was building another. This advice comming from him got my attention real quick. Here's a guy that hit's the gong at 1000 yards so often that it boring
gary