Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Rcbs gold metal dies not sizing the neck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Rcbs gold metal dies not sizing the neck?

I have a new set of rcbs gold medal reloading dies. I have been reloading only for a few years. On once fired brass the dies don't resize the neck. The bullet just falls right through. But with my cheap rcbs dies the neck is resized. Is there something I am missing here? I went with th gold medal dies for the bullet drop window and them do help with alignment of the bullet. Will on new brass.
Any held would be great.
Thanks in advance
Eric
Old 09-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rcbs gold metal dies not sizing the neck?

I believe this is a bushing dye, my neck sizer is. I would make sure you have the right size bushing mounted properly in the dye.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I believe this is a bushing dye, my neck sizer is. I would make sure you have the right size bushing mounted properly in the dye.
Thanks. Your r correct. New baby in the house and she is keeping my brain from working. Sleep is hard to come by.
Outside neck is .342. So would order .341-.340, the neck walls are .016avg. Remington brass is not the best for uniform necks. But all that's out there. If I wasn't working up killing paper and rocks at 1500yards I would care. It does seam to effect 1000 yards. It's expensive to get to mile. But it is fun
Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig25 View Post
Thanks. Your r correct. New baby in the house and she is keeping my brain from working. Sleep is hard to come by.
Outside neck is .342. So would order .341-.340, the neck walls are .016avg. Remington brass is not the best for uniform necks. But all that's out there. If I wasn't working up killing paper and rocks at 1500yards I would care. It does seam to effect 1000 yards. It's expensive to get to mile. But it is fun
I don't know what style bushing that RCBS uses, but I think I'd start out with a .339" bushing. What you really want is something like .003" between the sized case and the neck diameter with a bullet seated inside it. So I'd start there and maybe even try a .338. When the neck comes back out of the bushing, there will be a slight amount of spring back in the brass. I've see as much as .0013" of spring back.
gary
Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info
Eric
Old 09-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Most literature says .001 to .003. My cases like .002 bushing, and strangely my RCBS full length die is .002 as well. I was/am surprised but my rifle seems to like it.