Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS chargemaster...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

re: RCBS chargemaster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
I have multiple RCBS competition seaters, 2 Redding Competition seater, 1 Forster Competition seater and have noticed no difference in induced runout or variance in seating depth. So, the ease of the bullet insert window makes the RCBS the choice for me. Makes for much easier initial bullet seating because the bullets are in line and you don't have to pinch your fingers trying to keep the bullet straight with the others.

But to the OP's problem, I have had my RCBS for 5 or 6 years and wouldn't be without it. Never skipped a beat and always holds a calibration. If it quit and I had to reload, then I would buy another one while I waited for RCBS to fix the first
The only thing I can think of that would cause bullet seating variances would be the consistancy of each bullet's ogive is from batch to batch. So if you're using a comparator, then you shoulnd't notice any varience in tolerances. But the ogive could be higher or lower varying amongst different batches of bullets and the tip might not always be 100% shaped the same, which can also make your bullets seem to be seating inconsistantly.

I don't use a comparator, like I should. So I will probably be ordering one shortly.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURAMAX View Post
Had a keypad issue sent the whole thing back and received a new one. No issues since then I would consider this great service and will continue to buy their product.
and really that was all you wanted in the first place. Right?
gary
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
The only thing I can think of that would cause bullet seating variances would be the consistancy of each bullet's ogive is from batch to batch. So if you're using a comparator, then you shoulnd't notice any varience in tolerances. But the ogive could be higher or lower varying amongst different batches of bullets and the tip might not always be 100% shaped the same, which can also make your bullets seem to be seating inconsistantly.

I don't use a comparator, like I should. So I will probably be ordering one shortly.
just by chance, there could be excessive clearence in the linkage that could also be causing this. Even flex in the treads on the die can cause a little bit (not much but still some). More than likely it's a compound error thing that is accumulative in error. A thousandth here and a thousandth there starts to add up after awhile.
gary
Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
just by chance, there could be excessive clearence in the linkage that could also be causing this. Even flex in the treads on the die can cause a little bit (not much but still some). More than likely it's a compound error thing that is accumulative in error. A thousandth here and a thousandth there starts to add up after awhile.
gary
Gary, you also make an excellent point. Very well could be a combination of things.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

I have not read through all the post on this thread but I have had nothing but great service from Rcbs.

My charge master went south. I called Rcbs and since I'm north of the border they said to save me shipping costs and delays with customs to smash my charge master with a hammer. Yes that's right. Take pictures and email them to them. At first I though ya sure guys lets see what we can get this Canadian to do but they were dead serious. I had a new one in about a week. No receipt and no fees whatsoever.

Not junk and hands down the best and most fun warranty on any product I have ever owned
Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member

I bought a set of .44 Mag dies back in October, and the expander die body had a huge chunk torn in it like it was smacked really hard on something, and these were brand new and had never been used. I called RCBS and they sent me a whole new die body for free and quickly. I was able to file down the old one and clean it up enough to use without any issues. When I called them I was just gonna let them know of the issue, and not for them to send me a new one, but they insisted on sending a new one anyway. LOL

Quote:
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .284 View Post
I have not read through all the post on this thread but I have had nothing but great service from Rcbs.

My charge master went south. I called Rcbs and since I'm north of the border they said to save me shipping costs and delays with customs to smash my charge master with a hammer. Yes that's right. Take pictures and email them to them. At first I though ya sure guys lets see what we can get this Canadian to do but they were dead serious. I had a new one in about a week. No receipt and no fees whatsoever.

Not junk and hands down the best and most fun warranty on any product I have ever owned
WOW! But that beats you paying customs again
gary