Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS Charge Master or Lyman Gen 5 Touch Screen?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 07:56 AM

RCBS Charge Master or Lyman Gen 5 Touch Screen?

Does anyone have any experience with the new Lyman Gen 5 Touch Screen powder scale? I am ready to go to the auto powder dispenser and was leaning towards the RCBS Charge Master. However I see that Lyman claimed that there NEW Gen 5 unit is more accurate and "easer" to use.
Has anyone done a side by side comparison ?
Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: RCBS Charge Master or Lyman Gen 5 Touch Screen?

Ive got the RCBS and I just love it!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:29 PM

RCBS for me!!!!!!!!!!!! The cats meow!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

+1 on the rcbs

Haven't used the brand new Lyman but the one I had used about two years ago I was not impressed with how long it took to let it warm up. Ended up buying the charge master and LOVE it!! I've got close to 8000 rounds reloaded without a single problem. Very happy with it!!

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

I can't really say anything about the Lyman good or bad. I have never used one because I have had the RCBS chargemaster for 5 years now and have never had a problem with it. It works great.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:09 PM

I would also love to see a side by side comparison, or hear from somebody who has experience with both. I am looking at the RCBS chargemaster or the Lyman Gen 5, or Gen 6. I like the looks of the screen more on the Lyman, my Hornady I currently have is somewhat hard to read in some light. The most important thing is accuracy, and I have heard the RCBS is quite accurate. I would like to know if these newer Lyman models are on par with the RCBS?
Old 11-16-2013, 07:55 PM

I have the RCBS Chargemaster 1500. Had it for three years and it stopped working. I thought it was great up until the point that RCBS told me they would replace it for 200.00 and that I had no other options. My buddy had the Lyman, which was slower and prone to drift but easily corrected and when it failed, after 5 years, they sent him a new one, updated to Gen 6 for 45.00. That thing flies and works as well or better than the RCBS product with a damn good warranty to boot. I am done with RCBS!