Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

RCBS 1010 tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

RCBS 1010 tuning?

I would like to tune my scale myself, anyone know of any information on diy tuning?
Old 12-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: RCBS 1010 tuning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
I would like to tune my scale myself, anyone know of any information on diy tuning?

If it a new scale , follow the directions.

There should be a brass weight that came with it,
you use that to tune the scale.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunpower View Post
If it a new scale , follow the directions.

There should be a brass weight that came with it,
you use that to tune the scale.
No. not new, my fathers old scale probably from the 80's. I bought some RCBS certified weights and the scale is innacurate according to the weights i bought.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

If you haven't already zero the scale. I will assume you have cleaned it and checked all the pivot points. With the scale adjusted to zero the pointer should position itself at the center of its scale. If it is not there is a adjuster at the front of the scale that will move the scale up or down. Adjust that until the pointer is centered. Once centered check with the weights you have. Other than that its over my head.

May have been damaged. Good luck

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 12-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

I zero the scale, I've cleaned and checked pivots. My issue is when I put on 50 grains of my test weights, it doesn't measure 50grains
Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
I zero the scale, I've cleaned and checked pivots. My issue is when I put on 50 grains of my test weights, it doesn't measure 50grains
Several years back I weighed about eight or ten check weights on a lab grade electronic scale. None were dead on the money, and these weights were then measured on a second and third lab grade scale. All the wieghts were fairly close close, but never right on the advertised weight. (most all were within a couple tenths of a grain). I then checked each scale with a set of check weights that were certified by the Feds. They were very close, but once again showed an extremely slight error. I inquired about this error, and was told to clean the check weights, and they were almost perfect.
gary
Old 12-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Gold Member

You can "Tune" the zero on the 10-10 by adding or subtracting lead shot from the part that hangs from the balance bar. If you shake it, it rattles, that is the balance weights, unscrew it in the center and inside you will find various sized little round weights, you can add (lead shot) or remove the existing weights to get the beam to balance.
BUT first make sure there are NO missing parts that may have caused the problem.
It should have all of the parts shown in the picture PLUS a little nylon screw that holds the fine adjuster in place.
Make sure you have the unit on a SOLID level surface, then level the scale body before you calibrate the beam.

Good luck
Dave
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
RCBS 1010 tuning?-415607.jpg  
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)