Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ramshot poweder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 PM

Ramshot poweder

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with ramshot hunter powder?
I am down to the scraps of my powder supply and thought I would try this in my 6.5 creedmoore. My big concern is how tempture sensitive is it?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Ramshot poweder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMHUNTER View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with ramshot hunter powder?
I am down to the scraps of my powder supply and thought I would try this in my 6.5 creedmoore. My big concern is how tempture sensitive is it?
Ramshot has been decent powder for me, but I don't use Hunter at present. Some say it's not bad as far as temp. sensitivity. I simply don't care about that in a powder for the most part as the other factors like air density and barrel stiffness in cold weather will make you change your drops anyway.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Ramshot has been decent powder for me, but I don't use Hunter at present. Some say it's not bad as far as temp. sensitivity. I simply don't care about that in a powder for the most part as the other factors like air density and barrel stiffness in cold weather will make you change your drops anyway.

Well said lefty... some folks get WAY too wrapped up in temp sensitivity... How many dozens of accuracy records does the RL line hold?

I use or have used Magnum, X-Terminator, Big Game, TAC & Silhouette.

I'm having great luck with Ramshot, giv'er a go & see for yourself.

t

Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

I'm using it in my 22-250 with 53gr vmax. I never saw a difference in the middle of winter this year when I went to confirm things before going after the mutts
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

We have been using it with great success in the 260 Rem. I am sure that it would work great in the 6.5 creedmor as well.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

I have used diffrant Ram Shot powders in sevral calibers. All have worked with no problems. The only one I currently useing hunter is in a 270wsm. Hunter did not work in my 308 but tac behind a 155 a max is very good.