Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ramshot Magnum vs. barrel life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Ramshot Magnum vs. barrel life

Let us know how you like the Ramshot. I've considered buying some, but can't justify it until I get rid of a few more pounds of Hogdons I have in stock.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

Years ago when Oehler came out with their piezio pressure gage system, some folks testing their handloads noticed that ball powders gave a faster initial pressure peak than extruded powders. These peaks were much like those made with any powder ignited by really hot magnum primers. When the same load was primed with a really mild primer (RWS 5341, for example), accuracy was great.

Some folks believe the reason this happened was bullets pushed into the rifling too fast deformed a bit and therefore were not well balanced. Bullets entering the rifling more gently were not deformed and were very well balanced. Unbalanced bullets don't shoot accurate.

Makes sense to me......
Old 12-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Gold Member

Vasa, Note that RamShot is unique in that they highly recommend using standard primers, regardless of the amount of powder and/or burning rate. They tell me that their powder is set up to burn for a longer time and will be more consistent if using a Fed 210, etc. Just some info. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

50, my personal opinion is that powder being forced through the throuat has very little to do with throat erosion.and ball powder being significantly less than extruded is also a very small factor.

most of the throat wear happens while the bullet is getting started,the pressure builds up to 50 or 65k to get the bullet started and while this is happening the pressure is leaking out around the bullet acting like a cutting torch on the throat until the bullet moves far enough to seal the pressure. by now the powder chunks are all at least half burnt and there are no sharp corners or coefficent of friction other than the extruded would be bigger.i'm not so sure the powder isn't completely burnt by the time the bullet has only moved a few inches.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

No. 1 Whitetail, Powder is not all burned up that soon. Otherwise, you would have a muzzleloader and/or a load with pistol powder. The reason we match burning rates to cartridges is to try and get correct burn. Run a QuickLoad program and some powders don't burn up completely even in a long barrel. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

i don't think the powder chunks burn as long as you think,but let's assume you're right.would you agree that by the time the bullet is fully engraved in the rifling,peak pressure has occured and there are no sharp corners on any grains of powder and basically all chunks of powder going out the neck are very rounded,i don't care what shape they start out as.my point being that there is no difference in throat erosion between ball and extruded powders.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

no.1 whitetail:

I would also highly recommend you get QuickLoad as it will show a lot of things that people can't see any other way.

This is a sample chart of a mild load in 264 Win Mag. It shows % of combustion for barrel length. You can see that all of the powder is not burned up until the bullet has traveled 16"-17". You can play with it and change powders, loads etc. and see that some loads never burn all of the powder in a given barrel length.

If you do the same for chamber pressure vs. bullet travel you will get this. Interesting huh? You can see that in this instance the max chamber pressure doesn't start to drop until the bullet has traveled 3"-4". Looks like, in this instance, the bullet would be into the rifling/barrel a few inches before peak pressure exists. That would mean that the gas burning behind the bullet at peak pressures would be "attacking" the throat.