Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ramshot Magnum vs. barrel life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2005, 06:20 PM

Ramshot Magnum vs. barrel life

I have read somewhere - I believe that it was on this forum that ball powders such as Ramshot Magnum will burn somewhat "cooler" than extruded powders and thus give an extended barrel life with high-capacity magnum rounds.
Can somebody verify this or have an opinion about it?

Vasa
Old 12-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ramshot Magnum vs. barrel life

Ball powders have been said by many to increase barrel life. It may be as much as 10% to 20%.

However, in my opinion, ball powders have never shot as consistantly accurate as extruded powders.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Bronze Member

Vasa,

A year ago or two, I had a discussion with one of the engineers at Western Powders in Miles City (sorry, I disremember his name), about this very subject. He assured me that Ramshot ball powders burn at a lower flame temperature than extruded powders, hence longer barrel life.

Bart,

While I certainly don't doubt that your experience with ball powders vs. extruded powders is true, in fact, I agree with you! While I haven't had the chance to try Magnum yet myself, reports I've heard about Magnum suggest it is a very accurate powder. One day I will get off my duff and try it out. FWIW.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

i think Bart states it very well when he said "not as consistantly accurate"
Old 12-27-2005, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Guys,
The most consistently accurate ammo that I shoot is made by Black Hills Ammo. They use a lot of Ramshot ball powder. I would suggest that the rifle will make the final determination. I have some rifles that do prefer a stick powder, but some will shoot either with equal accuracy. I sure like loading with Ramshot powders, they meter like water through my progressive presses. Hard to beat Varget in the mighty .308 Winchester tho!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Vasa,

Please keep in mind one very important aspect to throat life, that being the abrasive action of the powder as it is forced through the throat under high pressure and temperature.

The frictional coefficent of Ball powder is DRAMATICALLY less then any extruded powder. This is in my opinion, just as significant to increased throat life as lower flame temps. Combining the two and I think this is where you get the 15% longer throat life.

It is really a two sides system to increasing throat life.

I also feel the topic of the stick powders being consistanty more accuracy or consistant compared to ball powders has alot to do with the fact that most ball powders are a bit sensitive to temperature changes and as such can cause more of a velocity variation problem compared to stick powders.

That said, the new ball powders such as Ramshot Magnum are said to be nearly as stable under varying temps as the Hodgdon extreme powders so if that is the case it may dramatically cut this consistancy factor.

The new US 869 is also reported to be much less temp sensitive then the older style ball powders.

We will see!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-28-2005, 01:44 PM

Thanks everybody for your input to my question.
I have reloaded for and used a number of magnum rifles over the years but my last one is a 7.21 Firebird (7mm Lazzeroni).
It shoots well and reaches advertised velocities with IMR7828 and Re25. I also tried WMR. I have access to Ramshot Magnum and will try that next.

Vasa