Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ram Shot Magnum Powder in a 338Win Mag - Product Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Ram Shot Magnum Powder in a 338Win Mag - Product Review

Been shooting RL-22 and Sierra 2600s (250 gr) and WC 252s and getting 1/4 MOA 3 shot groups @ 200 yds.

SDs of that load are not very good. When shooting at full size steel yote @ beyond 600yds (740yds) the difference in drop between hi and lo velocities are more that enough to miss. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

General observations w/Ramshot Magnum & 338 Win.

First Ramshot's web site is great. First posting of Standard Deviation that I've seen. Practical experience confirms Ramshots SDs. The higher the pressure the lower the SD.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

2nd Magnum is a bit slow for the 338 Win and 250 gr bullets. Ramshot lists the burn rate similar to H-1000 but because of the powder density a bunch can be stuffed into the case. I ended a 4.5gr over their upper load listing w/o any pressure problems. I'm thinking that a 275gr bullet would perform nicely "if" the throat was at least 0.10 longer.

3rd - Magnum will attain the same velocities as RL-22.

4th - compared to RL-22 Magnum must have a completely different pressure curve. With RL-22 and 2800+ MV camming action of the bolt has to be used to initiate extraction. This is marginally ok by me for varmints/predators but not good for a deer/elk/moose.

The affect of Magnum was that with the same velocity as RL-22 extraction was as one would expect from factory rounds. No resistance at all. When neck sized and reloaded cases chamber much more nicely also. I don't understand the whys and wherefores but it seems to be a good thing.

5th - Shots were stringing vertically and perportional to velocity. 1/4 MOA wide and 1.5 MOA vertically @ 200. Me thinks shoulder pressure and cheek weld but will have to do more testing. Ran out of bullets. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Ran 3 SMKs through which resulted in a 1.3 MOA triangle which is typical for them in this rifle.

Here's the sad part. At the stroke of midnight I launched an SMK ahead of 84gr of the Ramshot Magnum. I wanted to see what the Holland brake did to the muzzle flash. Well guess what, there was NONE and I didn't blink [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Who wudda thunk it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

My overall conclusion is that Ramshot Magnum may well work out. There are more pluses going for it than negatives. One plus is that the RCBS Chargmaster loves it.