Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Quoting Kirby but asking everyone.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Gold Member

Re: Quoting Kirby but asking everyone.

Like what Kirby said.

When your making a large reconstruction of any case its best to fire form with the cornmeal type process. Lots of bad things can happen when forming with full loads. We had lots of problems way back when....using 300 H-H brass to make a very severe wildcat, cases didnt like the radical form. Now with the 408 cases its about the same thing, you can shoot full loads, but, you may loose some cases along the way and at 2.00 ea. its not fun.
For most other forms, including AI's, just a moderate load will suffice. I have found that the accuracy is still pretty darn good. Only form enough brass for what is needed, you can allways form more along the way if needed to fill out. There is no reason to form 100 rounds of brass for a gun that you will never shoot more than 20 rounds in a sitting. Its ok to have the brass ready to form, but wear on the bbl for just forming sake. This really comes into play with the large overbore rifles where the bbl life is shorter already. 50 rounds of loaded ammo is a great plenty for one of these type rifles, dedicated long range elk rifle and such. My personal 338-408 i only have about 60 formed cases, some were formed with full loads and others the cornmeal method.

In a pinch you can take factory ammo and shoot them in your 280AI, they will shoot just fine.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 04-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Gold Member

We got several sets of the Hornaday Hydro form dies, for a 7mm 45deg from a 6.5 rem mag case, works very well.

338-378wby imp, this case forms ok but takes more work as the cases are getting too big for the pressure it takes to form properly. I dont think they are nessesary for the simple AI wildcats, Hey just more toys for the loading room!

We never have enough toys [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Gold Member

Has anyone use very light bullets and pistol powder.

I'm having a 6mm Ackley built, and I have 600 cases. A load of a 60gr bullet and 17 grains of "PB" will give ~55Kpsa.

I thought an afternoon at the range poppin' these little loads might be the way to go. No barrel erosion with that little powder.

Also talked to Hornady about the Hydro-forming dies, and they are really slick - they will electro-burn the case to match either your reamer drawing, or your fired cases.

Each way is about $150 - I don't know which way to go???

Any thoughts??

LRH member #23
Old 04-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

catshooter, with a small charge of pistol powder in a rifle case could cause you some problems with ignition. Whether the charge of powder is laying flat or tipped to the front of the cartridge from pointing the weapon at a downward angle. I would hesitate to try it unless someone here had a method of doing it that worked, such as may-be using some type of filler to keep the powder near the web.

Something to think about.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Gold Member

Catshooter,

I dont think you want to do that, that is not a powder burn, that can be described as an explosion or detonation inside the case. Either use the cornmeal or cream of wheat method or just load and shoot. I shot a 6AI for years and just fired loaded rounds with no problems at all. Shooting the 70grn bullets it would hold .200 5 shot groups doing so. I shot the fireforming loads at P-dogs, they didnt know the difference.

Cream of wheat will flow into the case better than cornmeal.

Dave