Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Quick way to find if gun will shoot well

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

Quick way to find if gun will shoot well

My son's good friend has just recently got a bug for big game hunting. He inherited an old Ruger77 in 25-06. Gun looks rough and has a crappy trigger. I scrubbed the barrel down.

I have a 25-06, so was going to use my components starting with 110 accubonds to find if it will shoot.

I know he wants to use HIS gun and he can't afford a new one this year, needs to buy more important things like optics. If his gun won't shoot I would rather he quickly move on to one of mine I will lend him.

What is the fastes(fewest rounds) you have found to find if the gun is a decent shooter or not. Just load 10 rounds of 2.0 gr below max and shoot from a clean barrel and keep barrel cool! Not looking for long range, 300-350 yards, so 1.0-1.5moa is fine. 2.0moa won't do.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Quick way to find if gun will shoot well

Work loads up from 3 grains under max in 1 grain intervals until you get pressure signs (1 of each). Then back down .5 grain and if not shooting the groups that you want then adjust seating depth in .010 increments moving closer to the lands or .010 farther from the lands (3 of each). Should get decent load in 20 shots or less (probably less).
Good Luck!

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 07-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

why not just load up some of a proven load for your rifle, making sure they'll function in his and have at er and see what happens
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 07-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
why not just load up some of a proven load for your rifle, making sure they'll function in his and have at er and see what happens

Because a safe load at max powder charge in his gun might not be a safe load in that rifle.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Because a safe load at max powder charge in his gun might not be a safe load in that rifle.
And you know that the load for his 25-06 is max how? he's given no details. He asked whats the shortest rout to find out if his friends rifle will shoot or not. What I said is exactly the shortest route, this also assumes that as he's stated he reloads so will take all necessary precautions.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Pretty tough question, BUT:
My experience with the .25-06 involves 3 different rifles and they all liked something different. Things they had in common were that even tho I wanted 'em to, none would shoot Accubonds very well and they all liked the 75 grain V Max.
For me anyway I find it interesting that each rifle seemed to like a specific powder, regardless of the bullet. RL 19, IMR 4831 and IMR 4350...3 different powders for 3 different rifles.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

If I was going to guess on one load to go with, it would be the pet load from my 25-06. 51 grains of 4831 with Fed 210. One grain below max(nosler book).

I have yet to find a gun that can't shoot one grain below max, but then again, I don't want to find it the wrong way. I will start 3 grains below, 1 shot each and find that pressure sign and then load a few 1 grain below that and see how she flies.

This gun has a crappy trigger and crappy bedding, but you never know do you.

If the bedding doesn't seem to be the problem, or the scope, I will try H4831.