Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Quick question on pulling bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quick question on pulling bullets

I have about 30 bullets loaded up in a configuration I no longer wnat or need so I was going to pull them vs shooting them.

Question: If I pull the bullets and drain all the powder do I need to resize the brass before seating another bullet? My gut says yes but I thought I would ask.

If so I will just neck size.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Quick question on pulling bullets

Good question. I just did the same thing and look forward to seeing the responses from more experienced reloaders. I guess the non-stop rain in Portland has us doing similar tasks!

Mine were not crimped so I reloaded without re-sizing. Neck tension seemed good based on effort to seat the replacement bullets. I could be wrong, but the elasticity of the brass is what allows us to seat without crimping. The same elasticity should allow us to pull the bullet, then re-seat another.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

It think the answer is - it depends on a lot of different things. Probably the best way to maintain seating neck tension is to resize again prior to seating the pulled bullets.

I think it depends on how the brass has been prepped for seating the bullets. Standard dies with button neck expander to reach final neck ID, or neck bushing dies.

If the seating tension seems similar to the first bullet seating effort, then you could probably just seat the bullets as is. If you sense quite a bit of difference in seating tension, resize prior to re-seating the pulled bullets.

That's my advice. Of course it also depends on what your end-use of the ammo is for. If you're trying to win a 1000yd benchrest competition, better prep each case exactly the same way.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Gold Member

If you had .002" bullet grip or more then the ID of the neck will return to .002" less than caliber. Example I wanted to pull these bullets with 260 gr Accubond from 375 Ruger cases

and the ID returns to .373"

The bullets are reusable and hardly marked
Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM
GNERGY

I have been doing a lot of testing with my 338 Ultra mag and pulling a lot of bullets because of inaccurate loads or just too hot.
I just reweigh the powder and seat another bullet and have had good results with accuracy.
I say resizing not required.
Tarey
Old 06-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

It really won't make a bit of difference which way you do it.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

I tear loads apart all the time, mainly those loaded for competition. The plug guage is nice, and I don't doubt its results. But what I have found is that if I don't resize, neck tension will be inconsistent. I can feel it when I seat those bullets again. I usually expand the necks and resize them before I seat bullets again. My suspicion is that the necks open slightly wide, maybe .0005 or so after a bullet is removed. Inconsistent spring back is the culprit.