Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Questions regarding loading to mag length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Silver Member

Questions regarding loading to mag length

In my haste to find the perfect load for a newer rifle I plan on long range shooting with, I made a rookie mistake and designed/tested loads based on distance from the lands and not magazine ID. When developing loads for a cartridge that is the same length as your action (SA cartridge in a SA action) is there a specific method that folks follow? I'm assuming that there is some rule of thumb for difference between mag ID and max coal, increments of COAL or ogive to test...or am I making this too complicated and just load to the max COAL that will work in the mag and instead work with different bullet/powder/primer combo's to increase accuracy? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Questions regarding loading to mag length

"...is there a specific method that folks follow? I'm assuming that there is some rule of thumb for difference between mag ID and max coal, .."

Well, you know it won't work to have the OAL longer than the magazine. If it's the same length as the magazine it will likely still bind. Thus, the rule, such as it is, is seat short enough to feed without binding in your magazine. And it really doesn't matter how well your ammo may fit in other people's rifles, does it?

I understand you wish a clear set of rules but, other than that there are no rules, everyone is free to do as they wish.