Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Question on tumbling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

Question on tumbling

I use Lyman red tumbling media, what can be done about the red dust? I like how it cleans. Cases come out very clean and shinny. But the dust residue inside I don't like.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Re: Question on tumbling

you can just wipe it off or put your brass in a second time with corn cob media.
I use blue menu walnut kitty litter with spent primers, cleans like a dream but, for the same reason I do need to give it a wipe with a rag or a 30 min. go around with corn cob
Old 07-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Chad, my son uses the walnut lizard litter. With new litter he adds some dryer sheets (bounce brand) and they collect most of the dust before he starts with the brass.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

Also toss in a couple dryer sheets from the dollar store.They really seem to help.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:14 AM

I cut up a dryer sheet into squares and throw them in, seems to help quite a bit.

FYI lizard walnut bedding is much cheaper and then just throw in a capful of NuFinish every other tumbling and you will get super clean brass.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

I had the same problem with the red walnut media. I started using treated corn cob media, no more red dust on my cases. I still wipe them off though. It seems to clean just as well.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmhero View Post
I cut up a dryer sheet into squares and throw them in, seems to help quite a bit.

FYI lizard walnut bedding is much cheaper and then just throw in a capful of NuFinish every other tumbling and you will get super clean brass.
The used dryer sheets from the clothes dryer work well also rather than nu-finish in walnut shells try a couple of table spoons full of mineral spirits. I was going to go with the thumlers tumbler and stainless pins until I tried the mineral spirits. Works really well.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob