Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Question on resizing die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Bronze Member

Question on resizing die

I have become very comfortable with the Forster resizing die which bumps the shoulder and allows a predertimed partial resizing of the neck. Really like it and have had great results.

Here's the question (problem); After shooting a cartirdge several times, I'm having trouble with with the cases not chambering and the problem seems to be lower down on the case, not the overall length or the shoulder length. So I need to resize the case, but would prefer not to resize with the standard resizing dies which will also bump the shoulder to a deminsion which is not right for my rifle. Just want to resize the sides of the case, not the neck or the shoulder, but can't find a die which does that.

Does this make sense? Anyone have any thoughts, especially a die which will only resize the sides of the case and not bump the shoulder?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Question on resizing die

Neil Jones Custom Products.

I've got a set of his dies for 6 Long Dasher. They squeeze down the sides by about .002 (.001 each side). The neck tension is determined by a bushing which is changeable, and the amount of neck size/shoulder bump is determined by how far in you screw the micrometer top.

He requires some cases that have been fired and fully fill the chamber to build the dies.

Last edited by SBruce; 02-23-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas270 View Post
I have become very comfortable with the Forster resizing die which bumps the shoulder and allows a predertimed partial resizing of the neck. Really like it and have had great results.

Here's the question (problem); After shooting a cartirdge several times, I'm having trouble with with the cases not chambering and the problem seems to be lower down on the case, not the overall length or the shoulder length. So I need to resize the case, but would prefer not to resize with the standard resizing dies which will also bump the shoulder to a deminsion which is not right for my rifle. Just want to resize the sides of the case, not the neck or the shoulder, but can't find a die which does that.

Does this make sense? Anyone have any thoughts, especially a die which will only resize the sides of the case and not bump the shoulder?

Thanks in advance!!
I don't use them, but I think that the Redding body die may be what you need. Hopefully someone that uses them will respond and give the specifics.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 AM

The Redding Body Die also bumps the case shoulder, so I don't think that's what you want. I'm not immediately aware of a sizing die that will size the case body but not bump the shoulder as well. I'd suggest trying something like the Redding Instant Indicator, that will allow you to measure the amount of shoulder bump you're getting, and adjust your die to the minimum bump possible - or no bump at all. A set of die shims would also you in this quest.

Sic Semper Tyrannis! Molon Labe!

My Blog: http://nicholst55.bravejournal.com/
Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas270 View Post

Thanks in advance!!
I think you answered the question in your post.

* take a case fired one time, and look for the bright ring forming just above the base. Now take one of your cases that won't chamber and measure the diameter at that ring on both cases. If there is much more than .0015" difference, you need to back your load off a bit. If the cases are identical, then I'd be doing a chamber case. You may have an undersized chamber, or a short gauge line deminsion.

* now you should bump the shoulder every so many firings (will vary per . Some are every three rounds and some may eight to ten. Also it appears your trying to partial neck size with a full length sizer. I know folks that have tried this in the past, and all gave up on the idea
gary
Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Bronze Member

That is some great feedback. thank you.

I think a custom die, such as "Neil Jones" is a great way to go.

Also appreciate the feedback from Trickymisfit on case expansion. may need to back the load off.

thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Neil Jones FL die will run about $200 and 30-60 days. Absolutely top notch.

there is another way also to consider.

buy a Redding body die and send it to Jim Carstenson at JLC Precision along with cases fired 3x. jlcprec@netins.net

Cost is $80 and he will convert the body die to a FL bushing die that is custom honed for your actual chamber. Time is 2-4 weeks max.

BH