Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Question Regarding Redding Bullet Seating w/o Crimp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: Question Regarding Redding Bullet Seating w/o Crimp

Or you can leve the die high enough so that the shellholder does not touch the die at full stroke; but you will suffer the dreaded "cam" of the ram.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]

If the die is screwed down enough, you can sit the bullets without needing the press ram to reach it´s limit in the press ( I mean you do not need to pull the handle to the maximum)...The sliding piece stops when the shellholder touches the die.

But you still need the shellholder to touch the die; you are just avoiding the so called "cam" movement of the press when the handle is at full stroke.

[/ QUOTE ]

älg,

Thanks, that sounds exactly what (I think!) I want.

To my mind, shellholder-to-die contact must surely be a more consistent 'stop' than the press's mechanical limit of movement (?).
Old 03-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Gold Member

Bottom line is that the benchrest dies don't rely on the position of the stroke per se. Shell is held in the sliding "seating chamber" and can't go further than wanted since the forward motion is stopped. The seating stem or micrometer setting then controls final seating. Also, these dies tend to use the ogive better to contol seating depth and is much more consistent. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

Greetings Brown Dog,

I truly beleive your worries are unfounded.

I have a RCBS Rock Chukar Press. It has a cam like stroke. If you pull the handle up, the ram goes up. If you go past the ram full up position, the ram come down a little (put a line with marker on the ram shaft at full up position and see if it goes down a little when the handle goes past center).

My point is that the presses stroke has the same effect as the cam in your vehicle motor that lifts up your valves.

Now the valves in your vehicle motor have springs that exert pressure on your valves which keep the valve stem in constant contact with the cam.

In your loading press the "spring force" is actually the resistance of your brass being deformed as the bullet is pressed in. You would have to be pulling your handle faster then a mortal man would be cabable of to create enough speed induced momentum to force that piece of brass to leave the surface of your rams base.

So in conclusion, with the resistance of bullet insertion, your brass base will never be able to jump up and away from your rams base.

As a matter of fact, if you did make your press hit a solid metal to metal stop, you will, more than likely only cause premature wear on the bearing surfaces of your press.

Regards,
Vic
Old 03-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

I sent this infoe to Brown dog already, and I finally figured out how to post pictures so I will send it to the general public.

In order to make a metal on metal stop for each seating w/out crimping I used a regular washer that fit fairly snug around the cartidge that I was seating for. I filed the washer on both sides to make it true to w/in 0.001" on both sides and I drilled two holes in it at the outer edges to put a thin wire trough to tie it up by the seater die (so I wouldn't have to take it on and off for each cartidge). I used simple paperclips to hold it w/ a rubber band (very crude, but it seems to work). I just finished loading 35 rds for testing and I measured each one to the ogive. It seemed to take about 5 seatings to get everything "settled in" because the first five bullets were seated about 0.002" longer than the rest. After the first five, they all stayed w/in 0.001", so I ran the first five through again. I know, it is very crude, but I was looking for an inexpensive way to make my loads a little bit better.