Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Question for Kevin Thomas re .338 Lap brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Question for Kevin Thomas re .338 Lap brass

Well...managed to contact a Sales Manager ( Ing. Karl-Heinz Goluch) for: Hirtenberger Defence Systems in Austria. He confirmed that the .338 Lap case in the picture with the "HP" headstamp is theirs. But, he's said that this was a strange situation as to his knowledge:

"yes, we had a .338 Lapua Magnum round with a 300gr. Match bullet in our cartridge program but we didnīt produce a lot of them. Just test and qualification rounds were produced till we closed down our small arms ammunition production in 2004."

He seems to think that the fact that I ran across a bulk bin of the unprimed brass was quite interesting given the above. How'd that end up in a little gun shop WA state? Anyway...little mystery solved. I'll have to quiz the owner at Kesselring's next time I'm down there. At the time I picked up this piece, they didn't seem to realize that there was more than just Lapua making .338 Lapua brass.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Gold Member

As the late Paul Harvey used to say "and now you know the rest of the story".
Old 04-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Well...managed to contact a Sales Manager ( Ing. Karl-Heinz Goluch) for: Hirtenberger Defence Systems in Austria. He confirmed that the .338 Lap case in the picture with the "HP" headstamp is theirs. But, he's said that this was a strange situation as to his knowledge:

"yes, we had a .338 Lapua Magnum round with a 300gr. Match bullet in our cartridge program but we didnīt produce a lot of them. Just test and qualification rounds were produced till we closed down our small arms ammunition production in 2004."

He seems to think that the fact that I ran across a bulk bin of the unprimed brass was quite interesting given the above. How'd that end up in a little gun shop WA state? Anyway...little mystery solved. I'll have to quiz the owner at Kesselring's next time I'm down there. At the time I picked up this piece, they didn't seem to realize that there was more than just Lapua making .338 Lapua brass.
Interesting stuff. Better go buy some more of that head-stamped brass - they could be collector items. Take it to Antique Roads Show and see what they have to say!
Old 04-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Kevin----the Lapua Brass I have been sleeping on instead of the Green Box Bullets got a little dented----can you please send me some more??????????????? I need some 220 Russian----would feel better than the 6.5x284…LOL