Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

question for the experts, or anyone else who has an answer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: question for the experts, or anyone else who has an answer

Did you use the paper clip wire to feel the inside wall of the case?

Like someone else said above, it's hard to work without a picture here--but it definitely sounds like a case trying to separate.

Do you have any once fired FACTORY LOADED shell casings laying around? If so, measure the length of one and let us know how long it is... I don't think this rifle would have a headspacing problem, but anything is possible I guess...

Dan
Old 01-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

Also, this could simply be a matter of some crappy brass. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Bronze Member

I get that crease from factory ammo from time to time and my chamber checks out just fine so I always just assumed it was fairly normal. I reload the creased brass 4-5 times and keep close checks on each piece for separation.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Okay, I have not loaded 270 in a long time. But, I do use R22 in a 25'06AI. Your load, I'm not looking it up, but it just sounds hot, to me? What you are describing, again (to me) sounds like case head separation. If you do, you have an unsafe condition and you had better get to the bottom of it before you leave the case body stuck in the chamber while removing the rim. A competent gunsmith can fix this for you.

But somebody else mentioned a possibility, misalignment, probably caused by a severe overload, bulging the chamber. Every round subsequent, will show a bulge conforming to the damaged chamber. There is only one solution, if you have enough barrel; cut a new chamber. Otherwise, it will make a good jack handle.

Good hunting. LB
Old 01-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Bronze Member

green 788,

I checked the lengths of the two different cases and they were the same. I also did the paper clip test and could not feel any separation. I will try to ge a picture and post it as soon as possible.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Bronze Member

LB,
This is what I thought at first too, but this load is a few grains under max, and shows no other pressure signs at all. I've had the gun since it was new and never fired an overload in it In fact, I don't think I've ever fired a max load in it. so I don't know how it could be misaligned or have bulged chamber, unless it came that way from the factory.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Gold Member

Before we over-think this into a third page... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Can you get another batch of brass and try those loads again?

Could just be screwy brass. I had some 22-250 Winchester brass that wanted to split on the shoulder. Examined my loading practices and rifle ad nauseum before trying some other brass, whereupon the problem went away.

Dan