Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

question for the experts, or anyone else who has an answer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Bronze Member

question for the experts, or anyone else who has an answer

I have .270 win brass, once fired with light load(56.5) of h4831 and no problems. However, the second time after firing it I noticed what seemed to be a crinkle(not a crack, but kind of looks like a crack) on the top side of the expander ring but only on one side of the cases. The load was 59.5gr of Re22 with a federal 215 and a 130 sierra. There were no other signs of pressure, cratered primers, extactor marks, etc. I am also using forster bench rest neck sizer dies. The gun is a model 70 featherweight. Any idea what would be causing this?
Thanks,
A.J.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: question for the experts, or anyone else who has an answer

If only i could figure out what part of the case the "expander ring" is i might be able to help [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

JB
Old 01-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Bronze Member

It is the ring(head)above the rim of the case, sorry for the terminology jb, I wasn't sure what it was exactly called.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Jax, this is one of those "cases" ha ha, where a picture would be worth a thousand words.if we could see this crinkle, at the expander ring, we might be able to help.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like a chamber not cut concentric with the boreaxis,
or receiver threads not cut concentric withthe receiver axis.
Something isn't properly aligned.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Gold Member

I think you are talking about the area just ahead of the extractor groove.

The "crinkle" you're referring to sounds like the case is trying to seperate there.

Take a paper clip and unfold it into a wire about three inches long. Then put a 1/8" 90 degree bend at the end. Use this "feeler" to rub along inside the case wall in the area where you see the "crinkle." If you feel a notch there, the case is trying to seperate.

What kind of brass is this? You say it's now twice fired. It's possible that you are sizing incorrectly, pushing the shoulder back too far. That will cause cases to seperate sometimes in the area you mention.

In any event, don't use this brass anymore. Toss it out.

What kind of rifle are you using? Is it by chance an NEF (H&R) break action?

And if it's Federal brass, it should have been thrown out on the FIRST firing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dan

Edit: Here's a drawing of a case with a hash mark in an area typical of where cases sometimes separate. Your cases may be separating a little farther back, closer to the extraction groove...

Old 01-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Bronze Member

green 788,
The gun is a winchester model 70 featherweight, the brass is winchester, and I'm using forster neck sizer dies, so I don't know if I could have pushed the shoulder back and caused head space problems? Like I said in the first post, it did not appear with the light load I used to fire form, but it became visible on the second firing with re22. But that load showed no other signs of pressure. The crinkle IS closer to the extraction groove, any ideas on what I could do to fix it?