Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Question on conventional and Hornady's superformance loads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 06:07 PM

Question on conventional and Hornady's superformance loads.

Assuming you have the same caliber, is there any difference in the powder charge weight between a hornady superformance and a regular rifle round?

I just know the superformance has more efficient powder that is completely burned up at the end of the muzzle.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 AM

Re: Question on conventional and Hornady's superformance loads.

The problem you have, like the rest of us. Is that the powders used to achive the balistics in such rounds is "Factory Specific" and not available to home loaders.
This is often the case when folks complain that they cannot obtain the same results without reaching max pressures/or piss poor performance with off the shelf powders.

May l suggest you find someone with either Quickload or Sierra Infinity and run some numbers first to see what you might be able to achive before waisting lots of money and time.

Best of luck.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

I just read an article about this ammo (couldnt locate the link) but the "more efficient powder" is a claim supported by the companies ability to blend different powders you or I will never be able to duplicate.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 264junkie View Post
I just read an article about this ammo (couldnt locate the link) but the "more efficient powder" is a claim supported by the companies ability to blend different powders you or I will never be able to duplicate.
Yeah thats what I think it could be too, it has the normal charge weight of regular ammunition maybe a little more but 10-15% less than the canceled light magnum ammo.